Mixing different salts

  • Thread starter Thread starter MikeyZo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MikeyZo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2025
Messages
851
Reaction score
1,460
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I’m curious if anybody’s done this, I have been using Aqua Forest hybrid pro salt mix. I really like it, I think it mixes very well, and everything in my tank always seem to do a little bit better after a water change. And it has their proprietary probiotic additive in it. I know there’s debate on that, but table it for a moment. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the alkalinity mixes at 8.0 dKH (which I feel is a little too low for my tank) and calcium of 431 mg/l. Aqua Forest does make another blend called Reef Salt+ which mixes at and alkalinity of 11.8 dKH and calcium of 459 mg/l.

Has anyone ever mixed salt blends when making their tank water? Is there any pros or cons to doing so?
 
Better to pick a salt thats close to your parameters than mixing, but it cant hurt.
Nothing wrong with 8dkh.
I run 7-7.5 on all my systems. Salt is 8.5. There is no real need to run higher dkh as it will just use more chemistry.
Average ocean alk is 6.5.
I do only 5% a month WC.
 
I usually use Reef Crystals but have been throwing in some Red Sea Coral Pro and also have a box of Nyos Pure on standby. I've used several different brands throughout the years, sometime even mixing the last of one bucket into the next bucket I open.

I think the biggest consideration is making sure that both salts are good quality salt blends and premix the two buckets to ensure even distribution.

Mixing two different brands/blends will just dilute the final mix. Using the second to "enhance" the first isn't a bad thing.
 
I've done it often. If I don't have enough RSCP to mix a full tank, I'll pick up some RC in a pinch to complete the batch.
 
Better to pick a salt thats close to your parameters than mixing, but it cant hurt.
Nothing wrong with 8dkh.
I run 7-7.5 on all my systems. Salt is 8.5. There is no real need to run higher dkh as it will just use more chemistry.
Average ocean alk is 6.5.
I do only 5% a month WC.
I do the same, I keep my system around 7-7.5. I often find myself wondering why people run their dkh higher. All I can think of is the "recommended" range for a reef tank is 8-12. However, these numbers were "figured" out in the late 80s, early 90s when there wasn't all this high tech gear. Personally, I think keeping a reef tank near a more normal range is better overall. After all as Sven mentioned, the average dkh of the ocean is 6.5-7.0.
 
I do the same, I keep my system around 7-7.5. I often find myself wondering why people run their dkh higher. All I can think of is the "recommended" range for a reef tank is 8-12. However, these numbers were "figured" out in the late 80s, early 90s when there wasn't all this high tech gear. Personally, I think keeping a reef tank near a more normal range is better overall. After all as Sven mentioned, the average dkh of the ocean is 6.5-7.0.
In the late 80's early 90's we ran alk even higher because successful reefers were doing it.
20260909_073059.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new