Mixing Genicanthus Angels?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, as I have found from my research that the males of this genus can be very difficult to find, I wonder if it’s okay to have two females of different species, or a male and a female of different species?

For example, if I’ve already got a male / female Lamarck in my tank, would it be okay if I introduce a female Watanabei / Spotbreast / Bellus at the same time or at a later date?

What tank size do I need to keep two, and will there be problems with aggression? Thanks.

For example: 1 Lamarck male / female + 1 Spotbreast female or any combo of male / female or female / female. I worry that both will turn male or one will turn male though.

Last edited:

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be no issues whatsoever as long as you do not have two males. I have found the Genicanthus genus some of the most laid back fish I have ever kept. I have had Bellus, Wanatabe and spotbreast in the same tank.

You should have no problems with mixing them in your size tank.

Just out of interest I have never had any problem finding males of the 'common' species, it may be a special order but most are available.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. My concern is the female of the second species I add will turn male, and if the other one is male (Lamarck’s is the hardest to sex) or has turned male.

Do you feel some of the species in Genicanthus are hardier and more disease resistant vs more fragile?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. My concern is the female of the second species I add will turn male, and if the other one is male (Lamarck’s is the hardest to sex) or has turned male.
I think a transition is very unlikely if there is already one male in the tank and even if it did happen the fish will have had months to get used to each other and therefore even more unlikely to fight

Do you feel some of the species in Genicanthus are hardier and more disease resistant vs more fragile?

Of the 'affordable' species the only one I would consider to be 'fragile' are Wanatabe because they seem to come from deeper water and you need to watch for signs of decompression issues (as do with all Genicanthus). But TBH the handling of them in the supply chain is much better now and it tends to be rarer. Once settled I have found them bulletproof.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Gives me confidence to go ahead and get more than one species if I can’t get a male / female pair straight away.

Decompression issues I’ll be watching for them. Swimming well, not down, not panting or gasping, no rapid breathing, alert and eating. I’ll be watching for all these things.

If there are decompression issues can they surface later? I don’t think Lamarck’s and Spotbreast are deeper water species.

kennytze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male and female Zebra, female Lamark, female spotbreast and female Bellus. I have had them in my 180gal mixed reef tank for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 years with no problems. They all are very active and get along fine. The Lamark seems to be the most aggressive but none have caused fin damage to each other, just a occasional bull rush. A very nice genus of fish for reef aquarium as they have not bother my corals.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female spotbreast and a female Lamark's in my 140. Best buddies, hang around together constantly.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank 6’ long?

I’m also thinking of putting maybe 3 Genicanthus in my tank and a Xanthurus Cream Angelfish. Would that work out?

Watanabei, Spotbreast, and Lamarck. Or would my tank be too small for these 4 angels? Apart from them my two other 8” fish will be a Marine Betta and a One-Spot Foxface.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank 6’ long?

Me? No... 60" x 30" x 18", with minimal rockwork... lots of open swim space.

The only fish I've got that I'm worried about is a Scopus tang. I'm fairly certain I'll have to rehome him at some point. Also have a Tomini tang, but he's likely to stay small enough not to be an issue.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back