Mixing own salt, how do YOU transfer to tank?

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my RODI and about to start making my own water. I'm going to use my brute 20g for storage (for now, may do station later) and will transfer into 5G home depot buckets to mix/settle.

I read some do the same, I'm sure you don't pour the bucket in the tank tho lol. Splish Splash! I guess I could siphon into a Jug to poor but looking for ideas.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a MAG 7 to transfer 15 gallons every week. With only five gallons, you could get away with a Maxijet or something similar.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxijet 1200 with a vinyl hose slipped over the nozzle or dip it out of the trashcan with 2.5 Gallon utility buckets.

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your tank size, but I use a Danner MD12 and a garden hose. I replaced the hose ends with plastic ones. I also have a pvc pipe rig that hooks over the edge of the tank so I don't have to hold the hose. I also drain and fill at the same time.

I'm also in the process of going over kill (on a stupid level) with what they are doing in this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do...water-changes-doesnt-get-any-better-then.html
(The best way of doing it actually.)

Last edited:

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a maxi 1200 in the past with my nano. Recently I've been using a mag 5 pump and a 32g brute trash can with about 8' of vynil tubing. Just did 30g with it last night and it worked awesome. I have a 15g bucket I siphon old tank water into and I dump it.

sportfisha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the bucket of mixed saltwater on something taller then the sump and siphon it into the sump. Put the hose in the filter sock so if there are particles in the mixed saltwater it will remove them.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Maxijet 1200 with a hose over the end, pump out 10 gal of water out of the sump into 2 5gal buckets and dump them in the bathtub, then I transfer my freshly mixed saltwater to the same 5 gal buckets I took the water out of the sump with, with the same pump and hose and carry to the tank. Then I transfer from the 5 gal buckets to the sump with the same pump and hose. Takes about 15 mins. Works like a dream.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH, and I also lay an old blanket down on the floor under my work area. Don't want to make a mess and have to clean up water off the hard wood!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I found it pretty handy to have a u tube made from pvc to hook over the tank wall to hold the water change hose in the tank while the pump is pumping the new saltwater into the tank.
With 1/2" hose there are a lot of pre-made u-tubes that can be found that originally came from equipment like canister filters.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, never considered using a pump. i have always kept it pretty simple after 7 years of doing it i just pour in the sump with the pump on.... after so long u barely make a mess if any, 1 paper towel will clean it up for me....never even considered another way......although years ago i made a mess with it

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 Brute 42g buckets. 2 are for mixing I use 1 Korilia in each bucket to mix salt.

Our sump room is in the garage as DT is plumbed through wall as dining room is backed up to garage.

1 Brute bucket is plumbed through wall with ball valve, so when WC is done, I drain then fill from garage, I transfer water from other 2 buckets in the the 3rd one, and water transfer is really simple.

No caring water back N forth.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back