Mixing realities: Saltwater chemistry variable with mixing time?

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has salt mix formula changed over the decades? Because I always mixed a batch for the next day. Now I hear that if you leave it that long you’re somehow making the chemistry of the salt askew. Has everything gone topsy-turvy?

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has salt mix formula changed over the decades? Because I always mixed a batch for the next day. Now I hear that if you leave it that long your somehow making the chemistry of the salt askew. Has everything gone topsy-turvy?
With that kind of salt migration, wouldn't you need to be doing constant water changes to prevent the salt from going "askew" inside your tank? I do believe that some parameters reportedly change with time when mixing but I have never worried much about these things, only God can really keep up with the trace elements and complex reactions that constantly occur all around and inside of us.

Unwind Take It Easy GIF

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what’s different about that salt? Grain size? Components? What’s the poor outcome by leaving it too long?
It's probably best to go to the website for the salt you want to use and see what the manufacturer says... there are too many different brands to be able to give you a complete answer

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what’s different about that salt? Grain size? Components? What’s the poor outcome by leaving it too long?
I suspect what you are referring to is salts that have some probiotics/bacteria in them, Best to use them ASAP or the organics might grow.

Ones like this:
1695524481048.jpeg

OP
OP
FishFilet

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the Red Sea Blue bucket I started to use that began me asking “why questions.” But I see how bacterial and prebiotic additives could further the confusion.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the Red Sea Blue bucket I started to use that began me asking “why questions.” But I see how bacterial and prebiotic additives could further the confusion.
I used to use the Red Sea Pro salt when I started, darn thing required a PhD degree to mix. Yes I do recall specific timelines to use it. Not sure maybe they have plutonium in there :).

So I moved on to salts that my kids can mix ( water, bucket, salt and mixing stick).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its based off of things like alk. Salt mixes with elevated elements (i.e. high alk and calcium and such) are able to precipitate.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use the Red Sea Pro salt when I started, darn thing required a PhD degree to mix. Yes I do recall specific timelines to use it. Not sure maybe they have plutonium in there :).

So I moved on to salts that my kids can mix ( water, bucket, salt and mixing stick).

What do you mean? Its half a cup per gallon and mixed for like 10 minutes. I guess I have a PhD now XD

OP
OP
FishFilet

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I moved on to salts that my kids can mix ( water, bucket, salt and mixing stick)
Mixing salt should be as easy as saying your a,b,c’s and 1, 2, 3’s. Rocket science it is not. Lol.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? Its half a cup per gallon and mixed for like 10 minutes. I guess I have a PhD now XD
Well I guess you have different Red Sea Pro salt:

This is what my bucket has:
1695526872884.jpeg

1695526897356.jpeg

I am curious to see your instructions…
I still stay by my statement… painful to mix with a bonus of residue after mixing.
I stand corrected there was minimum and maximum times for mixing.

OP
OP
FishFilet

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? Its half a cup per gallon and mixed for like 10 minutes. I guess I have a PhD now
It’s not a PhD thing. It’s a whoops, life got in the way and I couldn’t use my salt within the time range thing to the detriment to my tank thing.

OP
OP
FishFilet

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did I bother making a batch of salt that now is going to screw up my chemistry?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did I bother making a batch of salt that now is going to screw up my chemistry?
I don’t know what you mean, but your concern is not justified for any mix not containing organics like vitamins.

Very high alk mixes can tend to precipitate calcium carbonate, but that is not anything new and is not going to mess up the tank since it is high to begin with.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back