Mixing salt… reading 0 salinity

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting prepared to do a water change today and can’t get a salinity reading on my fresh salt mix. Using aquaforest reef salt, 5 gallon bucket, have added 3 cups of salt mix so far with no reading. Using a dummy proof glass hydrometer from tropic Marin.

My salt bag has a hole in it somewhere and the humidity caused it to clump. I have mixed the absolute heck out of it last night through this morning. I can’t see any sat clumping in the bucket though.

Any help solving this mystery will be greatly appreciated.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure that it’s fully dissolved? I don’t trust my salt reading unless it’s heated up to 77F and the water is clear itself. Maybe try warming it up to tank temp?

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently sitting at tank temp. I’d hate to throw out this water and have to go to the LFS to get mor RO, but I’m thinking that may be the move. I have a fresh unopened bag of salt I can use.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you mix 3 cups of salt with water and get zero salinity, its not the water you should throw out, but your tool lol.

Its impossible to be zero salinity, so I would keep the water moving with a powerhead, and go buy another tool.
Not if the salts evaporated out of the bucket, you know! Like he may have gotten a really bad batch of salt? That salt said; “I’m outta here. I am not going into the tank to get pooped on by a bunch of scaley fish.”

Bad salts! It has to be bad salts.
Happy Season 2 GIF by NBC
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have again tested the fresh salt mix with no reading. I have another 5 gallon jug of fresh RO that I’m going to add salt out of the brand new bag to and see what happens. Will update with results asap

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is 3 cups of undissolved salt sitting on the bottom, there is a measurement issue, not a salt issue.

The 3 cups dissolved? If so, it cannot not raise salinity.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting prepared to do a water change today and can’t get a salinity reading on my fresh salt mix. Using aquaforest reef salt, 5 gallon bucket, have added 3 cups of salt mix so far with no reading. Using a dummy proof glass hydrometer from tropic Marin.

My salt bag has a hole in it somewhere and the humidity caused it to clump. I have mixed the absolute heck out of it last night through this morning. I can’t see any sat clumping in the bucket though.

Any help solving this mystery will be greatly appreciated.
You're using a hydrometer, those things are absolute s***, they're extremely inaccurate, always use a hydrometer. My personal preference is the Milwaukee digital refractometer

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, meant refractometer. This is what I use
Though this is a cheaper option with similar accuracy
I've found hydrometers are very inaccurate and unprecise. though I don't have experience with that particular model, though I know the hydrometer I've used always gave me inaccurate readings, though it was a different design, though those two have always worked well and I've always gotten an accurate reading. Though i haven't used the handheld one myself, the people I know that use them say they work great

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently sitting at tank temp. I’d hate to throw out this water and have to go to the LFS to get mor RO, but I’m thinking that may be the move. I have a fresh unopened bag of salt I can use.

No, not the move.

You can get a refractometer for under $20.00 on Amazon. Calibrate and take a reading.

If your salt is too high, dilute with fresh RODI. If your salt is too low, add salt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back