View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think I understand so far (((but could have misunderstood))):
-- You're using Tropic Marin Precision Hydrometer for all testing
-- Your tank measured 1.025-something
-- You "can't get a salinity reading" in your bucket mix ***

***what does that last part mean exactly,,, meaning, where was the water level on the hydrometer scale?

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think I understand so far (((but could have misunderstood))):
-- You're using Tropic Marin Precision Hydrometer for all testing
-- Your tank measured 1.025-something
-- You "can't get a salinity reading" in your bucket mix ***

***what does that last part mean exactly,,, meaning, where was the water level on the hydrometer scale?
Everything you’ve stated is correct. When I place the hydrometer in the bucket, it sinks to the bottom. No floating of any kind to show some level of salinity present.

As an update, I continued mixing the two separate 5 gallon buckets (one with 1.5 cups of salt from brand new unopened bag and the other with 3 cups of salt from the old bag). Hydrometer continues to hit the bottom of the bucket with “no reading”. Weird thing is it still shows 1.025 in the tank. Fish, inverts and corals look healthy.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everything you’ve stated is correct. When I place the hydrometer in the bucket, it sinks to the bottom. No floating of any kind to show some level of salinity present.

As an update, I continued mixing the two separate 5 gallon buckets (one with 1.5 cups of salt from brand new unopened bag and the other with 3 cups of salt from the old bag). Hydrometer continues to hit the bottom of the bucket with “no reading”. Weird thing is it still shows 1.025 in the tank. Fish, inverts and corals look healthy.

Are you taking water out of the bucket and testing? Like a 500ml container or something will work

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My bad, meant refractometer. This is what I use
Though this is a cheaper option with similar accuracy
I've found hydrometers are very inaccurate and unprecise. though I don't have experience with that particular model, though I know the hydrometer I've used always gave me inaccurate readings, though it was a different design, though those two have always worked well and I've always gotten an accurate reading. Though i haven't used the handheld one myself, the people I know that use them say they work great

To lump swing arm hydrometers into the same sentence as the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer does a serious disservice to both. The TM glass hydrometers are one of the best tools you can use to measure salinity. They are far better than the Milwaukee and its crazy margin of error. The Milwaukee can read 1.025 but actually be anywhere from 1.023-1.027 and be within spec.

I have a Milwaukee and use it regularly but I understand its limits and serious shortcomings.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
one with 1.5 cups of salt from brand new unopened bag and the other with 3 cups of salt from the old bag). Hydrometer continues to hit the bottom of the bucket with “no reading”. Weird thing is it still shows 1.025 in the tank. Fish, inverts and corals look healthy.
What size measuring cup are you using? What brand salt are you using? Are you sure it's salt your adding to the bucket? Not trying to be rude but your results are not possible, or your cup is so small it is not changing the salinity enough to read on your hydrometer.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The hydrometer has to be in deep enough water so it floats freely, without hitting the bottom.
500 mL cylinder is what many people use (like mentioned in post #23).

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool::smiling-face-with-sunglasses: To lump swing arm hydrometers into the same sentence as the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer does a serious disservice to both. The TM glass hydrometers are one of the best tools you can use to measure salinity. They are far better than the Milwaukee and its crazy margin of error. The Milwaukee can read 1.025 but actually be anywhere from 1.023-1.027 and be within spec.

I have a Milwaukee and use it regularly but I understand its limits and serious shortcomings.
image.jpg

These are the best tools made for measuring salinity in a reef environment. The tool on the right has been with me on trips to tropical reefs and the swing arm reliably travels to the same location at reefs in the South Pacific, the Caribbean, and at the LFS!

The floating glass hydrometer is also very accurate when properly cared for but I have found that I routinely break them with careless use. The plastic survived suitcases and droppings on the floor that have ruined so many glass instruments.

Learning how to use the plastic unit to exclude bubbles that stick to the swing arm is the key to success with these devices. I drove my LFS buddy crazy with my swing arm v the Milwaukee salinometer and similar tools. Those are very sensitive to calibration and they fail quickly with neglect to wash with RODI, etc. The maintenance issues are similar for all these instruments, rinse them after use to improve accuracy and reliability of measurements.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size measuring cup are you using? What brand salt are you using? Are you sure it's salt your adding to the bucket? Not trying to be rude but your results are not possible, or your cup is so small it is not changing the salinity enough to read on your hydrometer.
Actually, an addition of baking soda might not show up on a salinity test. Very good idea/ observation regarding this mystery.:face-blowing-a-kiss:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting prepared to do a water change today and can’t get a salinity reading on my fresh salt mix. Using aquaforest reef salt, 5 gallon bucket, have added 3 cups of salt mix so far with no reading. Using a dummy proof glass hydrometer from tropic Marin.

My salt bag has a hole in it somewhere and the humidity caused it to clump. I have mixed the absolute heck out of it last night through this morning. I can’t see any sat clumping in the bucket though.

Any help solving this mystery will be greatly appreciated.
The mystery would be solved by buying a new salinity meter

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the measuring cup I’m using just to show everyone I’m using a legitimate measuring tool for the salt. As you can see in the water jug, the hydrometer sinks down to the 1.021 mark when touching the bottom of the container. With three full cups of salt in 5 gallons of water, this should be reading a higher specific gravity.

I’m hesitant to continue adding salt because I’ve successfully reached 1.025 with two cups of salt in the past. Using AF reef salt

Attachments

• IMG_9030.jpeg
    IMG_9030.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9029.jpeg
    IMG_9029.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, how many cups of salt are people adding per gallon to reach 1.025? I know answers will vary, but I’m sure they’re generally in the same ballpark.

I guess I’ll have to buy a new hydrometer to be sure, but this same one is showing 1.025 in the tank as of several minutes ago.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's just say it - if you put x cups of salt into your (appropriate) bucket/container. - Your meter is the problem. Not Quite sure why its still a question - take your water to an LFS - and ask them to measure specific gravity

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why? It registers the tank salinity just fine.
If that is the case - then the OP has a bad batch of salt - or did something else wrong. BTW - We don't know if it s measuring the tank salinity just fine - I would double check both

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, how many cups of salt are people adding per gallon to reach 1.025? I know answers will vary, but I’m sure they’re generally in the same ballpark.

I guess I’ll have to buy a new hydrometer to be sure, but this same one is showing 1.025 in the tank as of several minutes ago.
Depends on the salt but, in general, about 1/2 cup per gallon.
*you did say that your hydrometer is reading 1.025 in your tank correct,,, without bottoming out?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Generally 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of rodi... But that usually ends up about 1.022 for IORC.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I expect the clumpyness you report is playing havoc with the measuring cup system.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The mystery would be solved by buying a new salinity meter
BTW. If you don't want to buy something new - go to an LFS.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting prepared to do a water change today and can’t get a salinity reading on my fresh salt mix. Using aquaforest reef salt, 5 gallon bucket, have added 3 cups of salt mix so far with no reading. Using a dummy proof glass hydrometer from tropic Marin.

My salt bag has a hole in it somewhere and the humidity caused it to clump. I have mixed the absolute heck out of it last night through this morning. I can’t see any sat clumping in the bucket though.

Any help solving this mystery will be greatly appreciated.
Considering all the other info, buying a new bag of salt is probably your best bet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back