Mixing salt… reading 0 salinity

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To lump swing arm hydrometers into the same sentence as the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer does a serious disservice to both. The TM glass hydrometers are one of the best tools you can use to measure salinity. They are far better than the Milwaukee and its crazy margin of error. The Milwaukee can read 1.025 but actually be anywhere from 1.023-1.027 and be within spec.

I have a Milwaukee and use it regularly but I understand its limits and serious shortcomings.
Yes, in the that post I clarified that I have no experience with tropic Marin hydrometers, I assumed that they were talking about swing arm hydrometers, my bad, don't listen to my opinion on tropic Marin hydrometers, all I know is what works for me

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, how many cups of salt are people adding per gallon to reach 1.025? I know answers will vary, but I’m sure they’re generally in the same ballpark.
I use the hamzas reef "direct salt addition calculator" (https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/DirectSaltCalculator.php) and measure my salt in grams using a food scale.

According to this calculator, which I've found to be pretty accurate, 5 gallons needs about 800 grams of salt, which according is about 3 cups

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain it all dissolved?

I don’t see how a bad batch of salt, within reason, can explain what is being reported, but perhaps as noted above, the clumpiness messed with the volume measurement .

Try measuring the alk before tossing it out.

OP
OP
A

ATXreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news folks: with the new bag of salt, I am now reading 1.025 with slightly less than 3 cups in 5 gallons. I’m thinking the clumped up salt in the old bag is the issue (causing measurement discrepancies as well as making it difficult to dissolve?). Although to the visible eye, I could not see undisolved salt.

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t go through the entire thread, but IIRC the TM hydrometer does not read much higher than the low 1.030’s, so if you added more salt than that you may think you are getting a zero reading when in fact it’s too high in the other direction

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t go through the entire thread, but IIRC the TM hydrometer does not read much higher than the low 1.030’s, so if you added more salt than that you may think you are getting a zero reading when in fact it’s too high in the other direction
That's not how the TM hydrometer works...

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not how the TM hydrometer works...

Yes, if the salinity is too low, it will just sink straight down and not float (vice versa, if too high - float high). A user could think it’s not working, when in fact the salinity is just too low (<1.021) for it to produce a reading.

Last edited:

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if the salinity is too high, it will just sink straight down and not float. A user could think it’s not working, when in fact the salinity is just too high for it to produce a reading.
exactly the opposite - it will float way high in the water
same behavior as when somebody goes swimming in the dead sea

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, quoted me before I was able to edit, but correct. If it’s off the scale it may just seem to not be working because it’s a tight range of reading between 1.021 and 1.031

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if the salinity is too low, it will just sink straight down and not float (vice versa, if too high - float high). A user could think it’s not working, when in fact the salinity is just too low (<1.021) for it to produce a reading.
This is the exact opposite of what you said/what I replied to...

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the exact opposite of what you said/what I replied to...

As a point of fact, there is no such thing as a -0- reading on a TM hydrometer. In my first example, I was merely pointing out that a user may think they’re getting no reading because when putting it in the water it would not move (stay floating), meaning it was >1.031. Second post was stating the opposite end of the spectrum which would also appear to be giving no reading, as it would sink completely, meaning it was <1.021. Hope this clarifies, but both posts are consistently stating this, just using each end of the range to explain.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a point of fact, there is no such thing as a -0- reading on a TM hydrometer. In my first example, I was merely pointing out that a user may think they’re getting no reading because when putting it in the water it would not move (stay floating), meaning it was >1.031. Second post was stating the opposite end of the spectrum which would also appear to be giving no reading, as it would sink completely, meaning it was <1.021. Hope this clarifies, but both posts are consistently stating this, just using each end of the range to explain.

Full House Reaction GIF

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or better yet, swim in a pool of mercury. Maybe you could even walk on it. lol

Worst is trying to swim in a pool of oil. Straight to the bottom you go!

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Worst is trying to swim in a pool of oil. Straight to the bottom you go!
I once worked with an industrial soldering machine that included a small tub of molten lead. You could float dang near anything as long as it didn't melt or burn!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once worked with an industrial soldering machine that included a small tub of molten lead. You could float dang near anything as long as it didn't melt or burn!

Nice!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few 1 gallon jugs of the stuff decades ago... It is a shame it is so toxic, because it is a pretty amazing element to play with.

Now if somebody could just help me get this thing apart... I want to see what makes it tick

1697423286139.png

Actually contrary to popular belief, they don't have any radioactive materials in them - but certain vintages from the 30s through the early 70s likely do have PCBs in the coolant.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few 1 gallon jugs of the stuff decades ago... It is a shame it is so toxic, because it is a pretty amazing element to play with.

Now if somebody could just help me get this thing apart... I want to see what makes it tick

1697423286139.png

On top of the fish tank stand?
Actually contrary to popular belief, they don't have any radioactive materials in them - but certain vintages from the 30s through the early 70s likely do have PCBs in the coolant.
I have a Sawsall, but what is that horrible thing on top of the fish tank stand? I don’t recognize the mechanism at all. I’m stumped

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back