Mixing Salt Debate!

How long do you mix when making saltwater?

• 30 minutes

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • 1hr

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • 3hrs

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • 8hrs

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • 1 day

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • 1 day +

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently watched a few videos on mixing salt and am still left perplexed at what the correct amount of mixing time is. I saw people say as little as 30 minutes and others as long as 2 days.

I've done it at hr and I've done it for a day straight. I didn't notice a difference at all. Whether it was absportion or water clarity.

I use a WaveMaker when mixing my salt (relatively strong one) and put a heater in enough before the water change to get temperatures the same.

I'm also only mixing for a 13.5 gallon tank and do weekly 50% water changes because it's the easiest to track.

So the question is how long and how do you mix your salt?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently watched a few videos on mixing salt and am still left perplexed at what the correct amount of mixing time is. I saw people say as little as 30 minutes and others as long as 2 days.

I've done it at hr and I've done it for a day straight. I didn't notice a difference at all. Whether it was absportion or water clarity.

I use a WaveMaker when mixing my salt (relatively strong one) and put a heater in enough before the water change to get temperatures the same.

I'm also only mixing for a 13.5 gallon tank and do weekly 50% water changes because it's the easiest to track.

I follow manufacturer's directions for RS blue bucket - simple

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Overnight at the bare minimum unless the salt has very specific directions.

It is much easier for me to get the water, heat it up, add salt, go to bed, check in the morning, and then do the water change later. Usually 24 hours minimum. Sometimes a full week before I get to it lol

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix fresh saltwater the day I use what I have on hand..

For example, today I will be doing a water change on my 135g, I will use most of what I have ready to go, I will refill the mixing can with fresh RODI water that I already have made and add salt to bring it up to salinity and temp. The water will be ready for use as soon as temp is achieved.

This is how I have always done it. Its not about time for me, its about temperature. I avoid adding cold water to the systems on water changes. Top-offs are fine, its a gallon or 2. Water changes are a much larger amount. I prefer to avoid swings that heavy.

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been mixing Fritz Reef Pro using the pump on the mixing station to circulate the water in the storage container.

I've read that it really depends on how well you're mixing it. I don't see a difference between 2 hours and overnight.

My strategy is to make sure the water is clear and the salinity is stable (2hrs) before adding more salt or RO water.

Newjimky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on like others said .it all depends on manufacturers instructions some say to mix their brand a certain way jus tread you brands choice instructions/recommended

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I mix tm pro reef it’s like 30-45 min, IO I use a buffer to lower alk so the ph lowers and I have to mix until it’s come back up like 24 hours.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I mix tm pro reef it’s like 30-45 min, IO I use a buffer to lower alk so the ph lowers and I have to mix until it’s come back up like 24 hours.
I started using an air pump, the ph raises within 1-2 hours, but I do feel the salt still needs 24 hours to mix.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Bulk reef has a great video on this in their educational info. Was amazed at how milky their water was over extended periods of time. I personally mix my water in a brute trash can 40 gallons at a time. This is probably wrong, but I put my salt in first and then pump water from my closed water station with a quite one 1000 gph pump. This starts the mixing as I swish the hose around in the water as it fills.
Then I drop a different 1000gph pump into the trash can along with a heater and mix until it looks clear and comes to temp. Generally between 1-2 hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back