Mixing Salt Debate!

How long do you mix when making saltwater?

• 30 minutes

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • 1hr

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • 3hrs

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • 8hrs

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • 1 day

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • 1 day +

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fill the brute w 30 gal ro water. Add the salt and mix it to 1.026. Heat it to 78 before the change. Red Sea blue. May b switching to AF reef. Parameters seem close to my reef. The RSB Mg is low.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said 8 hours, but I always mix it the day(s) before - never the same day.
Sometimes it sits and mixes with a lid on for a week if I feel like running the rodi right after maintenance on the weekends.
The longer it sits the more that precipitates, so I have been trying to cut back or I get the chunks of minerals - not sure I have ever done shorter than 2 hours though. I use IO Reef Crystals

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mix up Reef Crystals until I get the good stuff at the bottom.....

20221003_202635.jpg
20221003_202627.jpg

These people and their spotless containers
psh GIF

Last edited:

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man am I glad I read this lol. I mix my RODI with salt and stir for about 5+ minutes let it sit for like 10 min, test salinity and dump. Thus far absolutely no issues with hitting my 1.025 and confirming a day or two later that it's constant. I also have a mini pump which I use for water changes and will sometimes put the pump and return end into the bucket to stir it up. Prooooobably should change my practice as I had no idea you were supposed to wait haha!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, back in the early 00's I would come home after work every day and perform the following. I would take a biggie sized Wendy's cup and scoop out a cup full of tank water and dump it down the sink. Then I would fill the cup up with tap sink water and stir up a scoop of Instant Ocean until it reached salinity and dump it in. I did that for years without any issues. I wouldn't recommend that though and I do it differently now.

However, I normally just mix Reef Crystals up for a full day or so before changing water just to clear it up. I don't think it really matters though as long as your temp and salinity are where they need to be.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People get too worried about this stuff in my opinion. I add salt to water and stir it with a big spoon. Once the salinity is right I do the water change. I don't warm the water, or even wait for it to go totally clear. I'm changing a significant portion of water too, 5 gallons on a 20 gallon system. I've done this for years with no problems.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the salt mix and how much is going to be changed. I use Red Sea Blue Top. I mix it until it is clear at the proper salinity for 10% water changes. That takes maybe 30 minutes. If I were to use I/O, or if I was doing more than 20% water changes, I'd let is mix way longer.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to use I/O, or if I was doing more than 20% water changes, I'd let is mix way longer.

But why? Is there a reason other than it just feels right? Because I am using IO and I do 25% water changes without prolonged mixing and it's fine. So I just don't understand this approach.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why? Is there a reason other than it just feels right? Because I am using IO and I do 25% water changes without prolonged mixing and it's fine. So I just don't understand this approach.
I suppose that depends on what you consider "Prolonged"? I haven't used I/O in a whole lot of years. However, as I remember, it takes quite a while to clear, as compared to some other mixes, and the residue is reduced if mixed longer. I often mix for less than 30 minutes. No offense to I/O users. I was simply attempting to illustrate my opinion that mixing time is different depending on circumstances.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TM Pro Reef. Typically, I mix my salt way ahead of time (35 gallons) with 2 powerheads and a heater. I store it weeks at a time and use as needed.

But when I'm in a pinch, I will mix by hand in a 5 gallon bucket and use within 20 minutes. I have seen no ill effect but have only done that 3 times times in 2 years.

eleslie3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix in a 55 gallon carboy that was previously used for making wine. It is constantly mixing and heated. Another carboy is on top of it that is filled with RODI.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do 5 gallons at a time with three cups of salt, mix a day or two in advance, and don’t worry about water temp with such small container, easy as can be.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put some filter floss attached to the outlet of a pump in your mixing bin (the end of a hose for example in some containment apparatus) it will remove a lot of the "mud" from Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

It will certainly reduce the accumulation of sediment in your mixing bin and as an added bonus it may clear up the water faster (which was the test that BRS used in their video). Is water transparency/translucenscy a good indicator of a well mixed concotion? well no but it's something to go by.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man am I glad I read this lol. I mix my RODI with salt and stir for about 5+ minutes let it sit for like 10 min, test salinity and dump. Thus far absolutely no issues with hitting my 1.025 and confirming a day or two later that it's constant. I also have a mini pump which I use for water changes and will sometimes put the pump and return end into the bucket to stir it up. Prooooobably should change my practice as I had no idea you were supposed to wait haha!
Don't change
When I had a smaller 90 gallon and changed 5 gallons a week I did same.
When things work they work. Let's sat you listen and then you have a problem of gunk like the guys picture.

Keep doing the same way until something breaks. Basic mantra and always follow.
No matter who the expert is.
Or
Always listen to one expert.
Not 500 people on forums.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually mix a batch at night then when I wake up in the morning consider it "ready".

In an emergency however, I will mix until it appears clear then use it right away.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AWC system with a fresh saltwater tank that holds about 240liters. It fills automatically when empty from my RO/DI system which takes about 12 to 14 hours. Sometime during this filling period I add the salt and turn on the mixing pump.

The mixing pump usually runs for 10 hours or so. After that it is programmed (by my Profilux) to run for 15 mins every three hours until the tank needs filling again.

Is the 15 minute run every three hours necessary? Probably not as my salt mixes extremely clear from the start (Fauna Marin Pro Salt). But it doesn't hurt so I've just kept to this routine...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back