Mixing Station Help

appacalypse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am a new marine aquarist and could use some help thinking of a solution on a water station setup.

I currently have an RO buddy mounted on a 2X4 which I plug into a spigot in the backyard. I have two brute trash cans, one for fresh RO/DI and one for saltwater.

My laundry room has no extra space for any RO/DI unit/containers and drilling the walls are not an option.

The garage has no water line outside of the water heater but I don't think I'll be able to mess around with that.

My idea was to move both the brute trashcans in the garage and get a Ro/DI line from the front garden spigot into the garage. I would then have a pump for the mixing station, however I am not sure how far I can pump water horizontally (I am aware of head pressure but could not find anything on how far I can pump water horizontally). My idea was to use that pump with a hose of about 30 feet and attach the hose to the appropriate bin for filling. The tank is 30 feet from the garage with several turns.

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense. You would really have to see my situation to understand.

I would then use a python water changer hooked up to the garden spigot in the back for water changes.

I have been thinking about this for a few days now. I have explored several other members on the forum that have posted their mixing station but for the aforementioned reasons, those solutions could not be implemented in my case.

I was hoping that someone could help me think outside of the box and see how we can get this done.

For example, I was thinking maybe I could put the water changing station outside. Have the two brute trashcans right next to the garden spigot and have a pump attached. Then I can run PVC as close as I can to the siding of the house and from there plug in a hose to add water.

I am really limited in terms of where the tank is located (not much space for an ATO, although I was able to fit a 10g brute trash can that I will use for that).

There is no sump and it is a 75 gallon tank.

Not sure what the recommended water change amount and frequency is, but anywhere from 15-20% a week would mean usage of 45-60 gallons per month.

Brute cans are 22 and 32 gallons.

Perhaps we can think of a solution together that can work for my current situation.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I will post pictures that may aid in understanding the situation

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, #WelcometoR2R !!! One of the challenges with putting a mixing station outside is the temperature difference. Although it is not a direct answer to your question, you may find some inspiration in this thread:

Good luck!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back