Mixing Station Pump

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of pictures but no one has their pumps listed.

I am going to purchasing this and it will just sit there as a stand alone mixing station. Since the outlet is 1-1/4" could I just use a reducer to try and fit a Sicce silent pump? Or unless someone has another thought on a pump.

Thanks

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of pictures but no one has their pumps listed.

I am going to purchasing this and it will just sit there as a stand alone mixing station. Since the outlet is 1-1/4" could I just use a reducer to try and fit a Sicce silent pump? Or unless someone has another thought on a pump.

Thanks
Yes you can reduce to whatever you need

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mixing station needs two or four pumps. if you run RODI into a FW container then mix that, then transfer water from the FW container to the SW mixing container then mix the salt and then transfer the SW to your tanks. you might need as many as four pumps. I use maxi jets to mix with and transfer. you need a bigger pump to transfer depending on head considerations. you can use the same pump to mix and transfer but the convenience of having hoses hooked up and stretched for transferring without pulling the mixing pump out to attach the hose is worth the extra equipment.
i mix prime into my FW so i mix it then attach tubing to that pump to dump into the SW tank. i aerate the saltwater container so i have an air pump on it plus a mixer. My water-change process is to siphon water from my sump and stretch tubing across the basement to add the SW. i have a larger dedicated pump to add the SW to keep up with the siphon.
it sounds like your plan would work.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All pumps will be external style pumps, so nothing will be in the actual container other than water, the highest it will pump would be to the top of the container which is 4 ft. So I feel the Sicce silent pumps would do just fine. Unless I am wrong?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i throw an old Rio in a 100g Rubbermaid and 2 hours later its plumbed and ready for a 10 minute 100g water change

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 1 external pump for the mixing barrel, transfer, and export water a jebao 4000. Will be upgrading to a 8000 this weekend. 4000 worked good but didn’t mix up salt enough so I keep a power head in there too. Hoping the 8000 will throw enough water that I won’t need the power head. If you design it right you only need 1 pump.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay next question, I have the booster pump on my rodi unit, how can i get that to turn off when to unit gets turn off due to a float valve?

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a booster buddy and it does it by itself, most float valve kits come with an auto shut off valve. I had one installed before the booster but they tell you to take it out when you hook it up.
I’m not 100% on that I haven’t dealt with just a pump before, you may need a auto shut off, just look at the brs ro accessories page.

Last edited:

Russell G

Meh...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a Reeflo Hammerhead for my mixing station and it does a great job. It’s plumbed so it can transfer the water, mix salt, and push out to the tanks through a hose. It’s a 6k gph pump so it’s more than enough for my 100gal storage tanks. Plus it’s rebuildable so I can fix it if it even has issues.

I connected it to a Kasa smart power strip so when I’m mixing salt water, I can set a timer and have the pump turn off automatically. I can also remotely turn the pump on and off when I’m filling the ATO reservoirs or filling the tank during water changes.

Can’t help you on the booster pump - my pressure is enough that I don’t need one

283012CB-F184-4896-ADB6-4F7D53D6497F.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what return pump you have on your tank, but if possible to use the same model pump for your mixing station it leaves you with a backup in case the one on your tank fails.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Sicce ADV5.5 on mine. I could use it as a backup return pump or skimmer pump if needed.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which sicce?
I was going to go with the Sicce ADV5.5 like KStatefan said above. as my mixing station and just a random sicce pump that would strong enough to move my rodi water into the mixing station. Since I will be having a mobile mixing station to take saltwater across the house. So i can't have a single pump doing both.

I am certainly not taking 5 gallon buckets back and forth.

Back