Mixing station question

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am putting together a mixing station and because I need to pump water up some 15 feet vertically with a hose length of about 30+ feet the pump I bought has 40mm outlets and inlets. My 55gallon deposits however, come pre drilled with a 19mm drain. So my question is, will going from 19mm to 40mm (I believe that is 3/4" to 1,5" but am not 100% sure) on the inlet of the pump be an issue?

Many thanks and kind regards.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Unfortunately these are rounded containers and the outlets are inbuilt into the only flat square in the bottom so if I try to drill larger holes I would likely not be able to have a proper seal for the bulkheads. I know tightening the outlet of a pump create head pressure but not sure if it does the same on the inlets. These were very expensive food grade graduated containers so I would not want to ruin them!

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how much head pressure your current pump is rated for, but you'll lose some of the lifting capacity with smaller pipes. As long as your pump is rated for ~20+ feet of head pressure, I would guess the pump will still work.

If you're stuck with your current unmodified tanks, then I only see 2 options. Try to use your current pump, or get a different one. Iwaki makes a pump that uses 3/4" connections with enough head for your application.

Iwaki MD-40RT156W822 GPH21.3 ftHose ¾” NPT ¾”

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Unfortunately these are rounded containers and the outlets are inbuilt into the only flat square in the bottom so if I try to drill larger holes I would likely not be able to have a proper seal for the bulkheads. I know tightening the outlet of a pump create head pressure but not sure if it does the same on the inlets. These were very expensive food grade graduated containers so I would not want to ruin them!
Look up ‘uniseals’

they are rubber bulkheads designed for use on barrels, and can go on curved barrel walls. Buy a few of those, and increase the hole diameter and run 1.5” pipe work

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up ‘uniseals’

they are rubber bulkheads designed for use on barrels, and can go on curved barrel walls. Buy a few of those, and increase the hole diameter and run 1.5” pipe work

Thanks. I have looked up, and in fact I have bought them... but I have never installed them before and after spending 500$ in 2 food grade 50 gallon graduated containers I really do not want to ruin them. I will try with the current measurements and if it creates so much pressure that the pump will not be able to pump the water 65 feet to the tank (16 feet vertical) I guess I will haul buckets until I forget how much I paid for the containers :)

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other same or even smaller pumps laying around that you could put in-line to help the other?....perhaps once it reaches the top to take the easier horizontal load push & a little help by pulling?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have looked up, and in fact I have bought them... but I have never installed them before and after spending 500$ in 2 food grade 50 gallon graduated containers I really do not want to ruin them. I will try with the current measurements and if it creates so much pressure that the pump will not be able to pump the water 65 feet to the tank (16 feet vertical) I guess I will haul buckets until I forget how much I paid for the containers :)
Uniseals have been used in farming applications, including industrialized production, and in medical production for decades, and are currently used by thousands of reefers for their water barrels. They are entirely safe and appropriate to use.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use them in the big expensive barrels - but I don’t spend that kind of money on something that just holds water. I use blue 55g barrels.

of course/ if you don’t trust *yourself* to cut the hole properly, and install them correctly, that’s totally legitimate. Cant fault you there.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water do you have to move? A pump like this has a 20 ft max head.
202317-brs-two-part-doser-dosing-pump-b_1.jpg

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-top-off-doser-50-ml-per-minute-bundle.html

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been told to never restrict the input side of a pump.

those storage containers can be drilled. I bought mine without any holes and drilled myself on the flat part. A little tougher to widen an already existing hole but should be doable.

You should do the calculations to see how much water you will be pumping and whether that volume will flow through the 3/4” junction.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV Im using a Panworld 200PS which has around 39’ of head that moves my water around 20’ vertical and 50’ horizontal through 3/4 and then 1/2 python hose. Three elbows along the way. I end up around 200GPH at the tank. My pump has 1” fittings but everything I plumbed from my Brute is 3/4. You just need to know that it increases head pressure.

Keep in mind that a pump with 20’ head means at a vertical lift of 20’ there will be zero flow. The max flow rating is at it exits the pump.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to use one pump to mix and another to pump it up to the tank
Good idea!
@VJV Im using a Panworld 200PS which has around 39’ of head that moves my water around 20’ vertical and 50’ horizontal through 3/4 and then 1/2 python hose. Three elbows along the way. I end up around 200GPH at the tank. My pump has 1” fittings but everything I plumbed from my Brute is 3/4. You just need to know that it increases head pressure.

Keep in mind that a pump with 20’ head means at a vertical lift of 20’ there will be zero flow. The max flow rating is at it exits the pump.
i would love to but in Europe I can’t find Panworld. I have looked at Iwaki but the MD-40RZ costs 800$, at which point it is cheaper to get new barrels . I am overwhelmed with all the great suggestions and am sure that at least one will sort my problem out!

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure I’m clear:

you have pump that is rated for you application: max head is 30ft +-? (Must be significantly more than 15ft to have decent flow)

If that is the case, limiting the input to 3/4 may be ok depending on the pump and how much flow you need.

what pump do you have?

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure I’m clear:

you have pump that is rated for you application: max head is 30ft +-? (Must be significantly more than 15ft to have decent flow)

If that is the case, limiting the input to 3/4 may be ok depending on the pump and how much flow you need.

what pump do you have?
Thanks! The pump is a Jebao 20.000 liters per hour, rated for 25 feet head pressure. Output is 40mm but barrel output only 19mm. However, I wonder if throttling the input but keeping the pump output at 40mm would not affect its head, or at least affect less than if the output was being reduced.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In any event I will put it together and try it out. If it does not work the cheaper alternative seems to be to buy a smaller pump for the mixing station and drop the big one i to the barrel just when I need to pump water upstairs.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In any event I will put it together and try it out. If it does not work the cheaper alternative seems to be to buy a smaller pump for the mixing station and drop the big one i to the barrel just when I need to pump water upstairs.
It won’t affect the head pressure. But there is a max flow through 3/4”. If the output flow you need is higher than the max flow of the 3/4 you will be limited.

that pump has a max flow of about 5,100gph and max head of 8m. 3/4 pvc has max flow of 2100gph. It looks like the dcp 20000 is about 1500gph at 15’.

I think you should be ok.

keep an eye on the classifieds forum for a used iwaki. That will be MUCH more durable than the jebao.

F3DC95BE-BFAC-40F8-A497-2A2AD26A4138.png

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t affect the head pressure. But there is a max flow through 3/4”. If the output flow you need is higher than the max flow of the 3/4 you will be limited.

that pump has a max flow of about 5,100gph and max head of 8m. 3/4 pvc has max flow of 2100gph. It looks like the dcp 20000 is about 1500gph at 15’.

I think you should be ok.

keep an eye on the classifieds forum for a used iwaki. That will be MUCH more durable than the jebao.

F3DC95BE-BFAC-40F8-A497-2A2AD26A4138.png

How did you arrive at the max flow rate through 3/4 at 2100gph? I've seen numbers from 600 to now 2100,but haven't seen any documentation on these numbers. I'm looking to better understand and of course this is assuming little to zero head pressure. Thanks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back