Mixing vodka a Vinegar into 1 container

Taylor Harnden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm currently dosing vodka and vinegar separately on a doser and it keeps my nitrates at 0. I'm wondering if anyone has ever mixed the two into 1 bottle and at what ratio? Wanting to free up a dosing head. Thanks!! My tank is a 180g sps dominate. I currently dose 1ml vodka 10ml vinegar this is my keep it at 0 dose.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and I prefered a ratio weighing more toward vinegar of about 690ml vinegar to 310ml vodka (another members suggestion TMZ).

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TMZ's ratio for 1L is 690ml Vinegar to 310ml Vodka
Nopox's ratio for 1L is 590ml Vinegar to 410ml Vodka

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOPOx is methanol not ethanol
Its mainly Vinegar and Ethanol. There is a small trace amount of methanol and possibly isopropanol. Most likely IMO as a denaturing agent for the Ethanol. Methanol is very toxic to most life. Or at least its metabolites are.

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its mainly Vinegar and Ethanol. There is a small trace amount of methanol and possibly isopropanol. Most likely IMO as a denaturing agent for the Ethanol. Methanol is very toxic to most life. Or at least its metabolites are.

Good call man! http://www.redseafish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/NO3-PO4-X.pdf the MSDS reveals you are correct. The methanol in the mixture tricks my olfactory senses into missing the vinegar smell. Methanol has such a sickening, sweet, gross smell. It smells like the aspirated air of an alcoholic after a bender. It looks like about 2.5% of it is methanol. I think your right it serves a good denaturing agent, but I'm interested to know what else it may do.

Perhaps Randy knows what role methanol may play in our closed environments versus ethanol.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call man! http://www.redseafish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/NO3-PO4-X.pdf the MSDS reveals you are correct. The methanol in the mixture tricks my olfactory senses into missing the vinegar smell. Methanol has such a sickening, sweet, gross smell. It smells like the aspirated air of an alcoholic after a bender. It looks like about 2.5% of it is methanol. I think your right it serves a good denaturing agent, but I'm interested to know what else it may do.

Perhaps Randy knows what role methanol may play in our closed environments versus ethanol.

It's role would be the same as any carbon source except this one breaks down to formaldehyde and formic acid by certain bacteria. Which is extremely toxic to most life. I would not purposefully dose it but the small amount in NOPOX seems ok.

Edit: to clarify the formaldehyde is the toxic part.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back