Build thread - 85 gallon Cade PR 900 S2

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken the plunge, and bought a Cade PR 900 S2! This will be my first saltwater tank, and the plan is for softies and LPS, with a decent mix of colourful non-aggressive reef-safe fish.

The tank was meant to be delivered last week, but unfortunately it's been indefinitely delayed due to pandemic restrictions. But on the plus side, I have more time to get the rest of the equipment organised!

Purchased equipment
  • Cade 900S2: 90x70x60cm (roughly 3x2x2 feet), display 324L (85g), total capacity 373L (98g).
  • Four stage RO/DI
  • Return pump: Sicce Syncra 4.0
  • Skimmer: Great White 7
  • Lights: Kessil AP9X
  • Heater: Eheim 300W
  • Temperature controller: Inkbird
  • Wavemaker: AI Nero 5
  • Sand: Caribsea Fiji Pink live sand, 3x20lb bags
  • Biomedia: Marine Pure balls
  • Testing: Ammonia and Nitrite (Sera), Nitrate and Phosphate (Nyos), pH (Salifert), Salinity, Alk and Calc (Hanna checkers)
  • Cycling: Dr Tim's ammonia and One & Only
  • Glass cleaning: flipper for most of the glass, seatorch titanium scraper for near the sand.
Planned equipment
  • Fuge light: Tunze Eco Chic Refugium 8831
Planned livestock (eventually)
  • Firefish goby
  • Lawnmower blenny
  • Midas or bicolour blenny
  • Pistol shrimp & goby pair
  • Pair of clowns
  • Scarlet hawkfish
  • Pink streaked or naoko wrasse
  • Mandarin goby
Another silver lining to the delivery delay is that I've got plenty of time to work on my scape. Trying to decide between two separate islands, or a single larger rock formation in the middle of the tank - any comments or suggestions to change things are welcomed!

IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0053 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are here!
By the way, you should probably move or re-post this in the Meet & Greet thread. That is where these posts go so people will see them.
welcome water.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - the tank has finally arrived!

Set up took about a week. I thought I was having issues levelling it, but that turned out to be a faulty spirit level. I also had a slow leak at the main drain bulkhead which was worrying, but that was fixed by using a multigrip to tighten the nut.

Now the cycle is underway, which is exciting! I used Dr Tim's ammonia and One and Only, although I think I made one error in not testing the ammonia level before adding the 2ppm as the instructions direct.

I didn't realise live sand can introduce ammonia, and I have three bags of Caribsea Fiji Pink Live sand in the tank. So, for the last three days my ammonia has consistently tested at 2ppm or just over, but some ammonia is definitely being converted because I now have low levels of both nitrites (0.5ppm) and nitrates (4ppm) which weren't present a couple of days ago.

I'm using sera for ammonia and nitrite tests, and Nyos for nitrate - good test kits. While the tank cycles, I have it at a lower salinity (1.022) and higher temperature (28C) than normal, which I read may help speed the cycle up.

IMG_0240.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some presents arrived in the mail today! A stand for my skimmer, and a Nero 5 wavemaker.

Really impressed with the Nero 5 so far - it's quiet, it seems to be moving a lot of water around, and the app is easy to use. I'm hoping the increased flow will help speed up my cycle - my nitrite levels have been off the charts for about a week, and even with multiple water changes I can't get them down.

I don't really have any idea of how the skimmer is meant to run, so I'm just going to leave it turned on for the next day, then I'll try to figure out what the two knobs do.

IMG_0259.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has finished cycling, and I took a trip to the fish store to celebrate!

I picked up my light, a Kessil AP9X, and it is super slick. Easy to set up, I just need to figure out the programming - just using the preset Tuna Blue schedule for now, because I'm a bit nervous about changing things up too much. I would like to add a couple more hours of very soft light at the end of the schedule, because it's currently set to turn off at 8pm which is a bit early for me.

I was also going to get my first fish, but on the advice of the shop I instead got some snails (4 turbos, 4 trochus), and some corals (a couple of zoas, one mushroom, two leathers and some GSP). I have some diatoms developing on the sand and rock closest to the window, so hopefully the snails can take care of that.

It was so exciting to see the corals open up immediately! I added them yesterday, and they mostly look good today (GSP is still partly closed).

I've tested my alkalinity (7.784dKH) and calcium (386ppm) using Hanna checkers, both seem to be at the low end of the recommended range. I'll check again in a week to find out consumption, and then start manually dosing as needed.

Also thinking about turning the media basket section of the sump into a refugium, based on some advice from the guys at the fish shop. It's a pretty small space, but I do like the idea.

Pics to track progress:

IMG_0290.jpg

Love the bright green polyps on this leather!

IMG_0291.jpg

Glued to a rock on its own, in case it grows well.

IMG_0292.jpg

Zoas also on their own rock, hoping to start a garden.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

And a FTS to finish! Apart from the GSP, which is glued, nothing else is in a permanent spot. I think I'll move the green leather further away from the GSP, just to break up the green a bit.

I'll need to break out my old macro lens for my SLR, see if I can get some better shots! Especially of the zoas, they're so tiny.

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added two tiny (adorable!) clowns, and a nassarius snail today. Clown #1 (name TBC) has already moved into the GSP:

Now, I'm planning on just keeping a close eye on ammonia for the next few days, and making sure the clowns and snails are eating.

This weekend, I'll check to see whether alk/calc has dropped at all, and start dosing if needed.

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the ugly stage has well and truly started:

IMG_0339.jpg
I assume these are diatoms all over the sand and rock? I understand that they are fed by silicates in the sand, and should go away on their own.

Haven't seen any ammonia since adding the clownfish, but did see slight drops in alkalinity and calcium over the week (from 7.784dKH to 7.56dKH, and 386ppm calcium to 375ppm). I've started manually dosing daily, on the advice of my LFS.

While the clean up crew aren't totally on top of the diatoms, they're definitely working hard! I had a zoa frag that was becoming overrun with hair algae - set a turbo snail just next to the frag, and the next day the algae was all gone.

And a couple of nicer pics to end on a high note:

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 37

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting the Ap9x for my Cade 900 as well. How do you like the coverage? I want to start with softies and LPSs, but am hoping to eventually have SPSs.

I'd like to have a refugium as well. Do you think the media basket space is large enough for one?

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting the Ap9x for my Cade 900 as well. How do you like the coverage? I want to start with softies and LPSs, but am hoping to eventually have SPSs.

I'd like to have a refugium as well. Do you think the media basket space is large enough for one?
That's the same plan I have! The coverage looks good to my eye, but I haven't done a PAR check yet so I'm not sure what the actual numbers are at the edges of the tank vs the middle (my LFS has offered to loan me a PAR meter, so I'll update when I get around to testing it).

My LFS told me that the light should be fine for LPS and softies, and SPS in the higher light areas. The softies look good so far, they've been in for a bit over a week and they all look happy with good polyp extension. I'm using the preset Tuna Blue lighting schedule in the app, and it's only set to go up to 60% power from 1-3pm, with a ramp up/down either side from 8am to 9.15pm. So there's room to push it higher if needed.

I like that you don't need to purchase a controller for the light, but it does take the app around 30 seconds to actually start up and connect to the light each time you open it.

On the fuge, I thought the media basket space was a bit small to be effective, but my LFS reckons it'll work fine as a little fuge - we'll see. The fuges that I've seen in well-functioning tanks seem to take up a lot more sump space, though.

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the Pristine Rocks that Algae Barn sends you in the starter pack for your aquascape? If so, how easy were they to work with? Did you have to buy more rocks than they sent to you?

Thanks for all this info! I'm hoping once I get my tank I can start a build thread too. They have been so informative and helpful!

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the Pristine Rocks that Algae Barn sends you in the starter pack for your aquascape? If so, how easy were they to work with? Did you have to buy more rocks than they sent to you?

Thanks for all this info! I'm hoping once I get my tank I can start a build thread too. They have been so informative and helpful!
I can't wait to read your build thread! I've also found other Cade 900 threads really useful.

I didn't actually buy from Algae Barn - I'm in Australia, so bought the tank from a local distributor. I used a mix of rocks, but I found the ones that had been sliced flat on both sides were the easiest to work with, in terms of aquascaping. And I used Aquaforest Stone Fix cement to hold them together, it works well if you get the consistency right.

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry! I guess I just assumed everyone got their tanks from Algae Barn! LOL!

Lucky you, to live in Australia! I'll bet there are some amazing fish stores there! One of my bucket list items is to go diving in the Great Barrier Reef. Of course, I'd have to learn how to dive first! ;)

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: about a week and a half after adding the clowns, I added a firefish goby last weekend. This is one of the fish that made me really want a saltwater aquarium! They're so beautiful.

He was a little shy for the first couple of days, mostly hiding in a burrow he made in the sand under a rock (at the back of the tank where I can barely see it, of course). But he's started coming out a lot more, and he eats frozen mysis like a pig. Hopefully he'll figure out that pellets are edible, as well!

IMG_0357.JPG

Also picked up a duncan coral, because I read that while they're quite hardy, they react quickly to changes in water chemistry - hopefully the duncan will give me an early warning if anything goes wrong.

It's just on the sand at the moment, while I decide where it should be glued down permanently.

IMG_0352.JPG

Still struggling to get alkalinity and calcium up to where I want them to be, but I'm slowly increasing dosing. I think I'm also going to slightly bump up my salinity over time, which according to the salt box should increase alkalinity. It's currently at 1.025 d SG, but I think I need to move it up to 1.026-27.

And I thought I lost my little red mushroom, but it's just gotten up and walked to the other side of the rock it was on. It's really hard to see it now, not sure how to coax it to move to a more viewing-friendly position. I think the flow was higher than it liked on the outside of the rock.

And one strange observation - a lot of green and red algae had started growing on the back wall, but overnight it disappeared. The diatoms in the sand are looking better, as well. Maybe the snails just got particularly hungry.

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I added a beautiful midas blenny to the tank, plus a pink zoa and some blue discosomas.

This fish is beautiful! He made a home in a cave in the rockwork instantly, and it's great to watch him back up into it and poke his head out. This fish seems to be much more aware of me than either the clowns or firefish are!

IMG_0372.JPG

I've read some posts that say these fish can waste away really easily, which is a worry. He's eating like a pig at the moment, though, so hopefully I can fatten him up.

IMG_0363.JPG

Found it hard to get a good picture of the pink zoas:

IMG_0376.JPG

Hopefully these mushrooms grow and cover up my incredibly sloppy StoneFix work:

IMG_0375.JPG

And I spotted a hitchhiker in the bag with the zoas that I've been wanting to appear - a stomatella snail! I didn't get a picture of it, but I'm 98% certain that I identified it correctly. Dropped it in the tank and haven't seen it since, but fingers crossed he's fine.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - how are you liking your Kessil? I also just ordered a Cade 900 (seems like there's at least 3 of us that got one of them recently - and it's been the journey that the other 2 of you have taken that gave me the confidence to take that same road :) ). Like Seachelle, I'm also looking at the Kessil AP9X, using the arm mount. The other alternative was the Radion XR15 x2. I had considered the Sky (b/c I'm going with an Apex, but the lack of shimmer removed that from the running).

My thoughts on the Kessil are (1) the shimmer seems much better (personal taste, but this is one of the driving factors for this decision for both me and my wife), (2) it's Apex compatible (the Mobius software for the Radions seems to be hit/miss among its users), and (3) it's 30%+ cheaper than going 2xXR15 (when including mounting).

Are you using the Kessil Arm Mount? If so, is that working well on your Cade? If not, how are you mounting your AP9X?

Are you using it with an Apex? If so, are you finding the integration "worth it" (as a factor for deciding on that light)?

Any further thoughts as you've used it more?

\Any other tips/suggestions re: your Cade setup is very much appreciated. I'm basically buying the equipment suite this weekend b/c of the Black Friday sales.

Thanks again - these build threads are incredibly helpful and I really do appreciate the time it takes to do these. Hopefully I'll put one together once I actually get the build together. I get the Cade in the next week or so (hopefully!).

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - how are you liking your Kessil? I also just ordered a Cade 900 (seems like there's at least 3 of us that got one of them recently - and it's been the journey that the other 2 of you have taken that gave me the confidence to take that same road :) ). Like Seachelle, I'm also looking at the Kessil AP9X, using the arm mount. The other alternative was the Radion XR15 x2. I had considered the Sky (b/c I'm going with an Apex, but the lack of shimmer removed that from the running).

My thoughts on the Kessil are (1) the shimmer seems much better (personal taste, but this is one of the driving factors for this decision for both me and my wife), (2) it's Apex compatible (the Mobius software for the Radions seems to be hit/miss among its users), and (3) it's 30%+ cheaper than going 2xXR15 (when including mounting).

Are you using the Kessil Arm Mount? If so, is that working well on your Cade? If not, how are you mounting your AP9X?

Are you using it with an Apex? If so, are you finding the integration "worth it" (as a factor for deciding on that light)?

Any further thoughts as you've used it more?

\Any other tips/suggestions re: your Cade setup is very much appreciated. I'm basically buying the equipment suite this weekend b/c of the Black Friday sales.

Thanks again - these build threads are incredibly helpful and I really do appreciate the time it takes to do these. Hopefully I'll put one together once I actually get the build together. I get the Cade in the next week or so (hopefully!).
Hey, congrats on the Cade order! I think you'll love the tank - I'm so happy with mine!

I think the shimmer on the Kessil is gorgeous, but honestly I think the Radions look really good in person, too. I went with the Kessil for a few main reasons:
  • Form factor: the light itself is very nice to look at, and I like that it matches the shape of the 900 S2, meaning I can have a single light, just one mounting arm, just one cord. It's cleaner than going with multiple smaller lights. I'm not planning on SPS anytime soon, though.
  • It doesn't require a controller: again, less cords is a plus for me and it's handy being able to control it using an app on my phone.
  • I'm a beginner, and it seems impossible to mess up the Kessil settings - whatever colour you set it to (more blue through to more white), it's meant to remain a good spectrum for growing coral.
I've had the Kessil for about a month now, and I really love how the tank looks. The light is very easy to use, and the corals (leathers, zoas, a GSP and a duncan) all seem very happy. I've tried out the acclimation schedule, and I think it will be a useful feature.

The single mounting arm is also a really good bit of gear - very easy to set up with the light. The only thing is, I've mounted the kessil on the very back wall of the tank. This means the mounting arm gets in the way of the ATO cover so I've had to take the cover off. I think I just need to get a little hacksaw and cut out a section of the ATO lid to make room for the mounting arm, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I have noticed an increase in evaporation in the ATO chamber with the lid off, so I'd like to fix this soon.

I don't use Apex, so can't help with that, but the Kessil app makes set up very easy and it's been pretty much set-and-forget for me.

Have fun with the Black Friday deals! All the equipment I have listed in my earlier post has been great. Very big thumbs up to the Great White DC skimmer. If I was buying everything again, I'd consider a DC return pump with a feed mode, but other than that, everything's been great.

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update:

I went away for a week over Christmas, and happily the tank and inhabitants seem to have largely done well. My temperature has been higher than I want it to be, though, so I've purchased a clip on fan that I will connect to the Inkbird temperature controller.

I spotted some new hitch-hikers in the tank - a nudibranch that I think unfortunately ate a lot of my zoas over the Christmas break, plus a brittle starfish.

Fish are all fat and happy, and I'm hoping to add some new fish over the next few weeks (depending on the stock at my LFS).

Pictures for fun:

IMG_0487.JPG

I think it's a brittle star?

IMG_0488.JPG

A new zoa frag.

IMG_0491.JPG

My older, partially eaten zoas.

IMG_0492.JPG

New growth on the GSP.

IMG_0499.JPG

My fat and not-so-shy firefish.

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added two things to the tank today:

My first more challenging LPS - a favia. I think this coral is gorgeous! I'm hoping it does well, things seem fairly stable and the duncan has been doing fine.

IMG_0506.JPG

A cleaner shrimp. I have so many overhangs at the front of the tank that would be perfect for viewing, and of course it seems he wants to live inside a cave.

IMG_0510.jpg

I really want to add more fish to the tank, but need to wait on stock at my LFS.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back