Mobile home 75g reef safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mandrew
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mandrew

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2014
Messages
964
Reaction score
427
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too sure if this is the right place for this post but I wasn't sure where else to try. I am curious if my mobile home will support a 75g reef tank and a 29g sump. I just bought the tank and stand as well as some used equipment and now I want to make sure the floor will handle it before I get any further. If not, what can I do to brace the floor or ensure its strong enough? It's a 1998 if that matters and I haven't noticed any soft or unusual spots in the floor since we moved in about a month ago.
 
I would definitely look into adding some extra support right underneath where the tank will be located. Anything to reinforce the floor would help. You're probably looking at over 1000lbs (or close to). Cement board in your subfloor would help, and definitely cinder blocks underneath would increase your support.
 
What is cement board? And I'm not sure what type of beams they are. I have yet to crawl under there and look.
 
Cement board is used in showers, baths, and wet areas. Also known as greenboard, its mold and mildew resistant (I believe) and is pretty rigid. You'll know more once you get underneath and see what you're working with as far as frame work. Wood and steel are pretty solid and can hold a lot of weight. I would be weery about aluminum studs though. In either case, cement cinder blocks will give you a better piece of mind.
 
Also, would I do just a stack of them for each end of the tank? Or three stacks with one in the middle?
 
I had a 150 gallon in multiple mobile homes with no issues. Keep it on an external wall and near one of the steel girders and you will be fine.
 
I'll see what I can do! I'm hoping to create a build thread once more exiting things happen lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new