Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Max. Size: 1"
Color Form: Red, White
Diet: Herbivore
Supplements: Calcium, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indonesia
Family: Trochidae

The Banded Trochus Snail is touted by aquarists of all experience levels for numerous reasons. Like other members of the Trochidae family, the Banded Trochus is easy to care for and very adept at working as your aquarium's cleanup crew. The Banded Trochus Snail normally has a black foot that is an off white/tan color on the underside of the foot. It boasts a pale gray, top- or pyramid-shaped shell. Thanks to the maroon stripes or bands on its shell, the Banded Trochus Snail adds a unique flair to any marine system.

Also known as the Trochus, Turban or Top Shell, or Turban Snail, this species of the Trochus genus is the true Banded Trochus Snail from Indonesia. Perhaps what many aquarists appreciate the most is the ease with which Banded Trochus Snails seem to breed in the home aquarium. It reproduces sexually by releasing gametes into the water column. The gametes appear as a cloudy, white substance. Breeding activity is usually sparked by changes in lighting or water conditions. After the gametes join, they develop into free-swimming larvae that eventually settle into your aquarium substrate and develop into mature snails over a period of a few months.

The Banded Trochus Snail is well suited for reef aquariums. As a general rule, you can keep one snail for every two to three gallons of aquarium water. The Banded Trochus Snail is very peaceful and because of its shell shape, it is not easily eaten by crabs. Unlike its close relative, the Tectus Snail, the Banded Trochus Snail can right itself when knocked over.

The Banded Trochus Snail does best in a well-established aquarium with ample hiding places and room to forage. It naturally feeds on algae, cyanobacteria, and diatoms amongst your live rock, substrate, and aquarium glass. The Banded Trochus is also an effective film algae eater. However, they only passively graze on other nuisance algae, such as hair algae.

Like other invertebrates, Trochus sp. is sensitive to high nitrate levels and intolerant of copper-based medications. It requires a gradual acclimation process, preferably the drip acclimation method. If food levels are insufficient in your aquarium, supplement their diet with dried seaweed. Though most Banded Trochus Snails seem to breed easily, there are no distinguishing characteristics between males and females. Info LiveAquaria

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you keep this snail in your aquarium and how do you like it?

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only snails i will use. I love them, fast moving for a snail dont bulldoze things. They will eat any type of algae. Plus they tend to spawn a lot and you can get babies in your tank

typicaltony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love them for reasons stated above especially when they can right themselves if they happen to take a fall unlike astreas who just lay there and die or get eaten by crabs.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a few & love them didn't know they would reproduce in the tank guess I'll have to tell them to get busy cause I need some more!

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hundred or so, spread across three tanks - tonight they were breeding in my large frag system and totally clouded the water. Somehow the gamete makes it through the filter sock and the young seem to develop in my sumps.

These are the best snails - they're a warm water snail - very fast moving with voracious appetites for all things film algae (not bubble algae though). They also seem to be immune to pyramid snails. I don't know if this is because the pyramid snails don't target them or if their "twisting" shakes them off. (they have a habit of twisting back and forth like a washing machine.) They're very nocturnal, they hide during the day, but in the dark they come out in force.

Not as likely to knock stuff down as a turbo but they do get big, maybe half the size of a turbo. They can be a little more expensive than the turbo or astreas - but seriously, I'd rater have 5 trochus than 25 astrea.

If you find them get them - you'll be very happy with this snail.

Last edited:

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last observation - they work well in frag systems. They are much more able to get up on the egg-crate and clean your plugs than any other snail I have tried. If they fall, they take care of themselves.

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iunfortunately only have 2. After reading this thread, I think I will get a few more...TANKS.

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 41 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back