0   0   0
Thanks Kevin.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, so I don't leave this thread hanging, I thought I'd give an update. Put some finishing touches to the cart/stand. To maintain the "already had it" theme, I ended up skinning it with pallet wood. I even left it un-finished to maintain the rustic look.

I drilled the QT display for the overflow and return. I have a DC pump I'll be using for the return. Baffled the sump and will be using a Curve 5 that I picked up. Just need to plumb the thing and throw some water at it.

Anyway, here's the final product sans plumbing. I'll update once I get it wet. The last picture is the new mobile QT setting next to the main display.

Show off!:p

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm sitting in my favorite chair talking to my wife and some house guests when we hear a "pop". Takes me a while but I eventually find the cause.

I'd like to think it was just bad glass, but the likely cause was me over tightening the bulkheads the other night. Hand tight, then a "more than slight" turn with a wrench is my guess!!!

Anyway, the back glass was the pop on my yet-to-be-wet QT tank. Thank goodness it was still dry!!!!!!!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only good news is the $1/gallon sale is still going on...at least I think!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that happen. Last time with water in the tank. No fun but wife did get new floors through out the house thou.:(

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch.... ¡No está bien!

I think I saw (puddy-cat) that petco had the $1 a-gallon sale going on... might only be local to me but maybe worth checking?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so neat pal, i love the plywood and how sleek ur system look

Thank you very much.

I have had that happen. Last time with water in the tank. No fun but wife did get new floors through out the house thou.:(

Ouch...I'm glad mine was dry. But nice positive spin on it getting the new floors!!

Ouch.... ¡No está bien!
I think I saw (puddy-cat) that petco had the $1 a-gallon sale going on... might only be local to me but maybe worth checking?

Thanks...The sale is here also and I will be going by today to grab another one.

I'm not a carpenter by any means so how did u connect the boards that criss cross the front of the doors?

To start, the door frames are biscuit joined and glued for structure. If you'll look at the inside of the doors, I used a piece of 1/4" plywood as a backing. I simply cut the patterned pieces to fit inside the frame and glued them in place to the backing. Normally I would have biscuit joined those as well, but I got lazy. Remember, this is just pallet wood and I didn't take the time to plane anything so it was a bit rough. After all, this is supposed to be a mobile, temporary QT system. No need to get crazy!!!!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much.

Ouch...I'm glad mine was dry. But nice positive spin on it getting the new floors!!

Thanks...The sale is here also and I will be going by today to grab another one.

To start, the door frames are biscuit joined and glued for structure. If you'll look at the inside of the doors, I used a piece of 1/4" plywood as a backing. I simply cut the patterned pieces to fit inside the frame and glued them in place to the backing. Normally I would have biscuit joined those as well, but I got lazy. Remember, this is just pallet wood and I didn't take the time to plane anything so it was a bit rough. After all, this is supposed to be a mobile, temporary QT system. No need to get crazy!!!!
Way to think outside of the box! Wish i thought of that!

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why hide that beautiful wood work. That should be out all the time.

Thanks, and I am happy with the way it turned out, albeit as a temporary/mobile system. The boss however, respectfully disagrees with both of us. Been together for 35 years and I learned very early on to pick my battles.

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on plumbing the sump? Do you intend to keep the ability to pull out? If so I would just install some unions to make the piping removable or possibly go with flex tubing....

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on plumbing the sump? Do you intend to keep the ability to pull out? If so I would just install some unions to make the piping removable or possibly go with flex tubing....

Funny you ask. Honestly I'm not sure if I will keep the slide out tray or not since it really was just an experiment. But I picked up the replacement tank and got it plumbed up this weekend.

I used some true-union ball valves I had so I can remove the plumbing pretty easily if I did want to slide it out. Also put a union right above the pump for its removal. Just letting everything dry/set and I'll throw some water at it and see what happens.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow David!! This is pretty darn amazing. I really wish I had you around when I was building my tank stand. It would look WAY better! Your QT has to be the nicest I've seen. :) I would suggest (as you've already proven) a small barrier -like a small strip of wood- around the edges of the tank to keep it from sliding off the top when being moved. Being plumbed in would probably help prevent that, but PVC cracks just like anything else when under pressure.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Meredith and that is a great suggestion. After my first mishap while building it, I added the lip on the front while I skinned it. The plumbing is clamped in place to relieve the pressure from the bulkheads. But regardless of those things, I intend to strap the tank(s) in place while actually moving it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it! Great job and great tank!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back