MODE Aquariums

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone on here own a MODE aquarium? Just curious if anyone has first hand opinions on the build and look? I do like the dimensions. The sumps look sleek as well.

here’s what I’m looking at.

Tank

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on you tube, look up eat,sleep reef. He has a build with a mode aquarium. Also inappropriate reefer is doing a build.

Andrew9909

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I purchased a 45gal CadLights frag system. However the sticker on the aquarium was MODE. Not sure if the two companies are affiliated in any way but regardless the tank made very well. The quality and workmanship were excellent. Only complaint I had was that they used uPVC ( better but less obtainable) plumbing which is sized different then regular PVC.

69cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for 3 years now, seems to be holding up well.

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone on here own a MODE aquarium? Just curious if anyone has first hand opinions on the build and look? I do like the dimensions. The sumps look sleek as well.

here’s what I’m looking at.

Tank
Any updates on your research into MODE aquariums? I haven't found much and am considering the 50G myself.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your research into MODE aquariums? I haven't found much and am considering the 50G myself.
Just been following some people on YouTube. They have the 135g though. I haven’t found anything glaringly bad about them. I personally like the way the have the overflows made into the tank and that they give you the plumbing you need. My only current concern is the euro brace on the 135g, I don’t want to upgrade my lights again with something that hangs from the ceiling. I’ve reached out to see if they have and customized options and I have some ideas to reach out to someone with a 3D printer to make something to mount my “rimless tank” mounts to.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I’ll most likely purchase the tank. Luckily I’ll be about a year before I do so I’ll have some time to research more as more people get them!

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I’ll most likely purchase the tank. Luckily I’ll be about a year before I do so I’ll have some time to research more as more people get them!

My main concern is the little bit I've found about them is their terrible customer service. Although that mostly relates to CAD Lights, which they are connected to, but separate from somehow.

Hard to stay away from them though because they offer a few unique things that other manufacturers don't provide. I love the metal stands with fully removable sides as well as the external overflow.

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g but have not set it up completely yet. I am doing custom plumbing and haven’t found the time to plumb it yet. I can say that they look really nice in person, the stand is nice from the standpoint that the side panels come off but feels a little light in person but I’m not worried about it enough to go with something else. I will say the one thing I’ve run into is that plumbing is all in metric so make sure you keep that in mind while plumbing. The sump seems pretty nice, glass and sturdy but bare bones (which is fine for me). If you live in the LA area, Tongs had a 100g on display in Fountain Valley. That being said I think it was an early one or something as mine looks nicer in all reality, theirs has some weirdness with the black back and had some stray silicon from what an employee told me. As far as customer service it so far seems meh, I have dealt mostly with tong which was amazing as he took care of anything I needed but when I called to ask a question to mode directly they didn’t seem super enthusiastic to help. I may have had a strange question (apparently they changed sumps for the 100g between when they started and supplied one to tongs and when they delivered mine) so that may have contributed to the confusion.

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g but have not set it up completely yet. I am doing custom plumbing and haven’t found the time to plumb it yet. I can say that they look really nice in person, the stand is nice from the standpoint that the side panels come off but feels a little light in person but I’m not worried about it enough to go with something else. I will say the one thing I’ve run into is that plumbing is all in metric so make sure you keep that in mind while plumbing. The sump seems pretty nice, glass and sturdy but bare bones (which is fine for me). If you live in the LA area, Tongs had a 100g on display in Fountain Valley. That being said I think it was an early one or something as mine looks nicer in all reality, theirs has some weirdness with the black back and had some stray silicon from what an employee told me. As far as customer service it so far seems meh, I have dealt mostly with tong which was amazing as he took care of anything I needed but when I called to ask a question to mode directly they didn’t seem super enthusiastic to help. I may have had a strange question (apparently they changed sumps for the 100g between when they started and supplied one to tongs and when they delivered mine) so that may have contributed to the confusion.

Thank you for your insight! That is helpful to know that they have at least responded to your questions, albeit unenthusiastically. Some reviews I saw indicated that they just could not get in touch with MODE. I'm planning on keeping stock sump and plumbing, but want to make sure there is a company I can go to if there are any major warranty issues.

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I called them up and got an actual person on the line. I can’t comment on ordering directly through them as I bought mine from Tongs and he personally talked to Mode and they had a few deliveries in our area (San Diego about 90ish min South of both Mode and Tongs) a few days later and were able to hand deliver it. The guy who delivered it was very enthusiastic and seemed proud of the product and was excited to tell me about all the features. If you do end up going with them, make sure to get all the plumbing pieces in the right spots before glueing. They all come pre cut but with no labeling or instructions. There is another user on here who I think flipped 2 pieces and had an issue with their standpipe that they had to trim it.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Mode is owned by the same people as CAD but is run by a completely different set of people. Someone will always have a bad experience so I will give them the benefit of doubt. I just love the tank dimensions.

DHak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a month late but I got an Artisan Cadlights aquarium 1 year go that showed up in Mode aquariums packaging. I like it quite a lot. The stand was well painted and one small area of damage was remedied quickly with them mailing me a small amount of the same paint to cover up the small defect. I am tempted to buy from them again.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently changed my mind and am going with a full custom lagoon style tank.

Also had 0 responses from mode about questions i asked here and emailed directly to them, so I’ve since moved on.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which custom manufacturer are you going with?
Glass Cages, joe at the company was more than flexible with my wants and is even entertaining my smoked glass door/insert idea for the cabinet. Also the pricing is great for a custom tank,stand, and sump.

haven’t ordered yet, just waiting out to see if I’m staying in my current home or moving before pulling the trigger.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages, joe at the company was more than flexible with my wants and is even entertaining my smoked glass door/insert idea for the cabinet. Also the pricing is great for a custom tank,stand, and sump.

haven’t ordered yet, just waiting out to see if I’m staying in my current home or moving before pulling the trigger.
Thanks @Cwentz758. Looking forward to supporting you on your journey. Pricing, lets help everyone get into this hobby without getting a second mortgage. So much fun. We love building!
IMG_0583.jpg

Last edited:

Fieg19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Cwentz758. Looking forward to supporting you on your journey. Pricing, lets help everyone get into this hobby without getting a second mortgage. So much fun. We love building!
IMG_0583.jpg
That is the customer service we need. Never take a man, and business that treats customers like he does for granted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back