Moderate Success Growing Phytoplankton

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only having moderate success growing phytoplankton. Starts off a toxic green color, but sometimes the green becomes lighter as the week progresses. Start each batch with fresh clean bag and fertilizer. Sometimes a week later I get a nice dark green batch of phytoplankton and sometimes get a light green batch. I rub everything done with rubbing alcohol when setting up and let dry. Below is a pic of a week later batch that didn’t darken up.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

C68636C2-DC33-4D6D-8674-1EB7F74D9CF9.jpeg

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you try adding a few more drops of fertilizer? Thats what I do when its not darkening fast enough and it works
Interesting - great idea. Will add additional fertilizer after 4 days.

Thank you!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I add a lil more fert than called for also. Another thing is you can actually over expose phyto to light.

also you can try the strains already in your tanks…these algae (whatever species) seem more crash resistant than lab grade pedigree strains

just try plain tank water and light it up…. strain out the pods …voila

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I add a lil more fert than called for also. Another thing is you can actually over expose phyto to light.

also you can try the strains already in your tanks…these photos (whatever species) seem more crash resistant….
try plain tank water and light it up…. strain out the pods
Great piece of advice! Will try to see if I can cultivate my own aquarium phytoplankton!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great piece of advice! Will try to see if I can cultivate my own aquarium phytoplankton!
yeah you will need like a 50 micron sieve, maybe a 20 or whatever size let’s phyto through and not pods….otherwise more than likely your tank water will likewise contain something that eats phyto … gotta strain the assorted critters out … use f/2 of course

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also using the poseiden reef systems set up, i quite like it.
I have also had mixed success but believe i am on the right path. I am documenting my journey and what i find working and not working over on the instagram if ya want to check it out. @ doubleadeejay

If your not on there i can share here too. Just will take me a minute to write it up :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back