Modified skimmer as egg collector

squatchaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2021
Messages
58
Reaction score
77
Location
the benthic zone
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been slowly preparing a breeding project for a pelagic spawning species, likely the red dragonet or diamond-tail flasher wrasse. Although scooping the eggs from the surface with a bottle may work, I’ve been considering an egg collector in the form of an overflow with a fine mesh to trap the eggs. My broodstock tank will either be a 55g drum or a standard 50g tank.

I have a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer that I hardly use, and I was wondering if this could be modified as an egg collector. Would the pump be too powerful? I’d have to find a way to put the mesh close to the overflow in-take, and in a way that is easy to access. Could I build an egg trap where this glass bowl is, pictured below? It is right underneath the skimmer in-take. Or would a trap function better somewhere on the external portion of the skimmer?

I appreciate any feedback. I’m not incredibly technical-minded! Another idea might be simply for a small sump, trapping the eggs in a mesh net before an external pump directs the water back into the tank.

78D75392-9A98-444F-987C-67797ABB80F2.jpeg
 
A needle wheel skimmer will not work as it may smash the eggs.
Ideal would be a skimmer that is gravity fed (between overflow and sump) and airstone operated.
 
Thanks! I also realized I posted a pic of the outflow/bubble trap, not the inflow -- but the question was answered :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new