Modified skimmer as egg collector

squatchaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been slowly preparing a breeding project for a pelagic spawning species, likely the red dragonet or diamond-tail flasher wrasse. Although scooping the eggs from the surface with a bottle may work, I’ve been considering an egg collector in the form of an overflow with a fine mesh to trap the eggs. My broodstock tank will either be a 55g drum or a standard 50g tank.

I have a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer that I hardly use, and I was wondering if this could be modified as an egg collector. Would the pump be too powerful? I’d have to find a way to put the mesh close to the overflow in-take, and in a way that is easy to access. Could I build an egg trap where this glass bowl is, pictured below? It is right underneath the skimmer in-take. Or would a trap function better somewhere on the external portion of the skimmer?

I appreciate any feedback. I’m not incredibly technical-minded! Another idea might be simply for a small sump, trapping the eggs in a mesh net before an external pump directs the water back into the tank.

78D75392-9A98-444F-987C-67797ABB80F2.jpeg

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A needle wheel skimmer will not work as it may smash the eggs.
Ideal would be a skimmer that is gravity fed (between overflow and sump) and airstone operated.

Back