Modifying Furniture for use as a Stand

gilleasbuig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
This is my first post so go easy on me ! :)
(Also I hope it's OK to post in this section of the forum).

I have a piece of furniture that I am repurposing as a stand. It is solid, however; I have a bit of a newbie question related to making or modifying stands.

I attach a picture of the furniture here for you to see. As a description, I am going to place the shelf unit on its back so that the aquarium measures 132cm x 48cm; the shelves are very solidly constructed into the frame and there is no movement at all.

stand.JPG

Question: Do I need to add a top (and foam matting) to this piece of furniture for use with the aquarium? The aquarium has a flat bottom and is made from 1cm thick glass.

I understand wood + flat base aquarium could cause pressure points. I am also concerned about the glass being weaker where the 36cm x 36cm holes will be beaneath it. As I said, newbie question!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously be concerned about racking with the look of the shelf. Not knowing how the shelves are attached to the vertical supports, makes it difficult to say its okay. Of the shelves are just screwed into the vertical supports, I'd say no.

OP
OP
G

gilleasbuig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for the reply,

First question, "racking" = cracking? Just want to check I read correctly and it's not some terminology I haven't heard of before. If it is other terminology; what is racking?

Otherwise, the shelves seem to be completely built into the frame. By this I mean (and I haven't even considered taking it apart as I would ruin the unit) I think they are using either doweling or some type of mortice and then glue during construction. Like the frame is made with three sides and the shelves in place then the fourth side of the frame is put in place. I attach a couple close-ups of the shelves front and back.

Shelf1.jpg

Shelf2.jpg

I didn't have time, prior to work, to take all the items off the shelving unit and lay it how I was intending to use it so I quickly did a sketch to exaplin what I mean.

Idea1.JPG

It may be that the shelves don't themselves provide the support but I think they are solid pieces of wood that would (in my envisaged use) run vertically from base of tank to floor; providing lateral support to the base of the tank.

However, I do make assumptions here and it is best to be certain. Therefore I am thinking perhaps making some frames to fit inside the holes is best. These could be properly attached to the inner walls of the unit with two frames in each box hole with support running laterally across the base of the aquarium (same direction as the shelves) but made from 2x4 (or such) and with vertical structs to carry weight to the floor.

This does bring me back to the original question: is it better to place a top (like in the sketch) or is it generally ok to have the bottom of the tank with areas of void below?

Thanks again for the time and help.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Racking, side to side movement causing the stand to fail. With a small tank it may not matter, larger tank's like mine, critical.

The shelving you have described may work just fine, but the height may be an issue only from tilting. If you have liitle ones, I'd secure it to the wall as to keep it from falling over.

OP
OP
G

gilleasbuig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again and thanks for the very fast reply,

Thanks also for the explanation of racking; indeed it is new terminology for me :)

Regarding the height and tipping, due to the intention of me laying the unit flat on the ground with the two longest sides being those that are on the floor; it would mean that the length of the "stand" would be 132cm (~52"), the depth would be 48cm (~19"), and the height would be the shortest measurement at only 35cm (~14"). The tank measurements are 132 x 48 x 45 cm (~ 52 x 19 x 18 "). Would you say this is still a possible tipping risk?

Lastly, I'm guessing a piece of thick plywood on top of the "stand" is not required from what you are saying above.

Thanks once more!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laying it down would be okay. The other thing is making sure it's level and the corners are coplanar. Corners level to each other.

OP
OP
G

gilleasbuig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight, when I am in from work, I will set it down and get the spirit level out to check.

Thanks for the help with this, it's very much appreciated.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got your stand going, so

Still need to formally greet you. Stop by meet and greet and post a hello thread. If you want

upload_2019-3-24_10-45-22.gif

Back