Mojo~' s 50g cube build

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well let me start off by saying I just sold my 125 so I could setup something smaller. Something to take up a little less time and space until my baby girl gets a little older.

With that being said I had all my coral in a holding tank.... and the heater stuck on when I was at work. I took two 5 gallon buckets of coral to the trash full of rotten coral. About $2500 worth I figure. the water looked milky white. I was mad at first then just kind of laughed. Nothing I could do about it at that point.

The heater was a eheim jager that was about 2 weeks old and had been working just fine up until the problem. Water temps got up to about 100 degrees.

With that said. if anyone wants to donate to the cause let me know... :squigglemouth:

lol

The new little tank isnt so small I can enjoy it. Its a 50g Rimless from cadlights. its 24x24x20. I bought there tank stand and light tree. I will say the tank is really nice. 3 sided starphire glass 10mm thick. Really a solid tank. The stand however works but I am not a huge fan. It is on the same lines as ikea or sauder furniture. And they made the doors about impossible to open. So I had to put knobs on the doors right away. The light tree is nice as it mounts to the back of the tank pretty easy. I called before I ordered to get a ETA on the tank. This was on a thursday and I was told it would probably ship on monday. So I ordered that night and called on tuesday to find it hadnt left yet and would ship thursday. Called friday and was told it was shipped that day on friday. So I kind of got off to a bad start. I also ordered the plumbing kit ($65) that friday as I was told they used special bulkheads. And they do but a Standard 1inch and 3/4 inch bulkhead will work just fine. This did not show up with the tank.... :(
called them and they had to overnight the plumbing (took 2 days)

So as you can see I had not been overly impressed by the phone calls and service. up to this point. I did finally get the tank up and running on sunday. It has pukani live rock, a couple small frags from my daughters nano tank, some fish I had in another tank and a sump I made with a built in 4in filter sock.
I am using a eheim 1250 return pump, a RKE controller, A reef filtration 20k LED fixture, and a Avast Kalk stirrer.

Ill get some pics up later this week as I am out of town on business and cant get pics at the moment.

Skimmer..... if you all noticed I dont have a skimmer....

I am really torn at the moment. I have had so many and not sure what I want to get.

I am thinking either Skimz sm 121, skimz sk 181, SRO 1000 int, NAC 7, AM100 or maybe just an old euroreef. Kind of scratching my head on what I want to do. Ill probably order something in the next day or so so I have it when I get back home.

All in all I really like the tank. The quality is right there with the miracles tank I had. Very nice silicone work, overflow is nice all in all a great looking and solid tank. Just wish the service was a little better upfront. communication is key and I think they lost it.

Pics to come..
here is a link to the tank I bought to hold you over....
50G Artisan Series (Customize-your-own) [1850-ART-D] - $349.99 : CAD Lights, Thinking outside the cube

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the pics Jesse!!!!1smile1 I'll send ya plenty of coral just pay the shipping it's killing me man $90+ anymore to ship from the west coast to the east coast....:squigglemouth:

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. Sad really I had some really nice one of a kind pieces.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll load ya up hate hearing about losses but pm me and we'll work something out sorry for your losses can't wait to see the new build

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank looks really nice, cant wait to see it all set up.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, it will be bare for a while but ill gets some pics up when I get home.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some frags for you too. I'm sure that they are not as nice as the ones Troy is sending, but they will take some room!

I'm also interested to hear about the skimmer you choose. That was the first thing I was wondering when I saw who had started this thread :)

CJ

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I did order a nac 7 knock off from ebay just for fun. But I am thinking of getting the skimz sm121 more and more.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and thanks guys for the frags. Ill pm you when I get back home.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about the coral loss
that is a really nice looking tank though - seems like a pretty quality unit

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that tank. Really nice. I was just looking at it from the side this morning and its crystal clear. I could see through the water and the glass and it was clear as clear can be. No tint to it what so ever.

Ill take pictures today once the lights come on.

I did order a Avast media reactor kit for this setup. I had one on my 125 and was built like a tank. Simply just not enough room for that on this setup so I sold it. IT was the MR 10 18 tall. The one I ordered was the mr5. Should be just right for this tank. I still need to hook up my avast Kalk stirrer as well. that will be happening sometime this week. Nice to buy things made in the USA and not china.

Sorry for the delay on pics but they will be up later today...

mojo~

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see this baby come together!

MTH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get them pics coming I need ideas haha....1smile1

+1

I have the same dims and it was originally set up as a temperary tank. Eight months later its still up and running with just the most basic of setups but my lps are happy. I lost most of my sps so may update the setup to make it a more permanent tank so that it will stay more stable.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ok, not sure what there is too see but I took some pics to show off the couple corals I was able to save. And these were not my best pieces by far but still have a few nice things.....

OK Running the eheim 1250 pump, LFL LED fixture..... (Lights From Luke) , Running a fluval heater with built in controller. I havent hooked up the kalk stirrer but will probably work on that later tonight.

Avast stirrer and Media reactor on the way. MAde in the USA. Buit great and offer many options. Love the avast stuff.

Skimmer.... SC aquatics 150

This is the cheapest skimmer I have ever bought other than nano skimmers. I bought it on ebay to play around with. ITs a lot like a bubble magus nac 7 but a little smaller but larger than nac 3.5 . Its a knockoff but To be totally honest I paid $100 shipped and the thing seems to be just fine. Ill give it some time and write up a little something on it. But $100 shipped ! lol heck why not right? just put it in today. so its breaking in...

ok ok pic time

here is the tank with the LFL LED 20k fixture
P1030498.jpg

P1030499.jpg

these Duncans made it through 100 degree water
P1030496.jpg

so did this enchinata
P1030495.jpg

I did pick up this red digi... still needs to sprout(color better in person)

P1030494.jpg

my $100 skimmer lol... i laugh cause I have had everything imaginable.... and Look what I have now... Ha
P1030489.jpg

the bulkheads barely fit in the hole provided in the stand. Tank is wonderful.... I wish the stand was of the same quality. If you can build a stand or get a nicer one made local I would suggest it. This isnt bad but just not of the same caliber as the tank... Nothing fancy here for the wiring. RKE with 2 strips and a SL1 module
P1030488.jpg

I made the sump. IT has a 4 in sock holder behind the skimmer. Really basic design. Simple and effective.
P1030487.jpg

some zoos I picked up local to share with my daughters nano
P1030485.jpg

My candy apple reds made it
P1030477.jpg

P1030477-2.jpg

ok my biggest problem with the stand was it did not come with knobs. It was almost impossible to open until I bought knobs for it....
P1030482.jpg

much better now.

My shrimp came out to get his picture taken
P1030480.jpg

P1030484.jpg

and last but not least this larger acan enchinata Made it though the 100 degree boil as well....
P1030468-Copy.jpg

Now on to get the kalk stirrer hooked up to my ATO and the Avast media reactor will be here middle of the week. I bought the kit this time. Thought I would save a few dollars and see how well it goes together. I like doing acrylic work really. just wish I had more tools so I could do a better job with it. Finish wise that is.

everything is doing well. I kept some of my fish from my 125.

Stock list for now
Mimic tang ... will get too large real soon I am sure
Green spot goby
a couple chromis
carpenters wrasse

ill probably trade off the mimic and try to get a small pygmy angel.

mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright with a little work I was able to getthe kalk stirrer hooked up to the ATO last night. I built the sump without knowing the inside dimensions of the stand. With that said I guessed right. I have about 1/4 in extra space for the door to shut since getting the stirrer shoved in there. Not sure if ill run the media reactor inside or outside the sump just yet. Thinking maybe internal we will see.

Hope to get some coral on the nice Pukani rocks here soon. we will see.

Mojo~

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back