Mollies in a reef?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen that mollies are often able to be acclimated to a reef, and I've been thinking it would be really cool to add a school of them to my 180. I'm wondering if there are certain types that do better than others? Which ones are most colorful, and best suited to life in a reef? What's the process for preparing them to reef life?

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're mean! but i've noticed wwc has one in every tank.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the whole point of starting a sw tank is for the beautiful fish that can only be kept in salt. with that size tank, it would look better with a bunch of anthias or cardinals.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a post on here a while ago from someone doing the exact same thing. I believe they were using black mollies. They just drip acclimated them for an hour I believe. Someone did chime in and state they had better success just temp acclimate and drop in. I wish I could remember the person posting. I think it was Triggreef but not 100% sure. My memory is not what it once was.
I've seen that mollies are often able to be acclimated to a reef, and I've been thinking it would be really cool to add a school of them to my 180. I'm wondering if there are certain types that do better than others? Which ones are most colorful, and best suited to life in a reef? What's the process for preparing them to reef life?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people add them because of their size and voracious appetite for algae or food for bigger fish which my understanding is not very good nutrition.. Plus it is kind of neat, the concept of keeping a fw fish in a sw tank.
I thought the whole point of starting a sw tank is for the beautiful fish that can only be kept in salt. with that size tank, it would look better with a bunch of anthias or cardinals.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

butters417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a few in my refuge, they were always eating algae, but they only lasted about 6 weeks..might try to get a couple more in the near future

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin species are more often naturally found in salty water, but most of the species available are hybrids, so they should be fine. Acclimation doesnt have to be terribly long, as ones found in intertidal zones deal with pretty rapid salinity changes.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sailfin species are more often naturally found in salty water, but most of the species available are hybrids, so they should be fine. Acclimation doesnt have to be terribly long, as ones found in intertidal zones deal with pretty rapid salinity changes.

Sailfins do the best. The biggest problem they have is with heavy flow.

Thanks guys! So I'm probably good with most of the ones I'd find at the LFS, and maybe a 2-3 hour drip acclimation?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfins do the best. The biggest problem they have is with heavy flow.

^^This. From a disease standpoint, they are great because they do not have to be QT'd. Any freshwater disease they might be carrying will die off as they are being converted over to saltwater. However, once in full saltwater they are susceptible to saltwater diseases the same as any other fish we keep.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did temp acclimate and drip acclimate with my mollies. The temp acclimate is thriving and the drip acclimated died within 24 hours.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did temp acclimate and drip acclimate with my mollies. The temp acclimate is thriving and the drip acclimated died within 24 hours.

Wow! That's surprising. How long did you drip them?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just bought 6 mollies. Gonna try just temp acclimating them

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's surprising. How long did you drip them?

I dripped for about an hour to an hour and a half. I think, but if I ever add more I will just temp acclimate.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back