Mollies in a reef?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely recommend one for a frag tank! They're awesome algae eaters. They eat regular marine fish foods like mysis, nori and chopped seafood too so there's no need to fret about what to feed them when they eat every spec of available algae :)

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding Mollies in SW

i started a tank of Mollies in SW hoping they will breed . Produce Babies to feed my Frogfish. Being raised in SW environment will surely make better food for my Frog Fosh instead of freshwater fish They will absorb the SW Nutrients and minerals.
Big Ron

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new Molly today. I picked him up at about 1pm and started floating him to equalise temp. I forgot he was there and went off to work (ahh night shift!). It's now just passed 11pm and I'm letting him out. I hope my Cowfish plays nice. If not, I may have to reconsider keeping it. The Cowfish has already been trying to attack the Molly. He was squaring the Molly up in the bag and now there's tiny little bite marks in the bag and pretty much all the LFS water had drained from the bag into my DT through the holes. Hopefully the LFS hasn't used any medications or anything that could harm the tank.
Don't really know the point of this post. Bleeeh.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

reef heaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share. I had a pair a few months ago and one was pregnant. When a hitchhiker crab killed one which I thought was the female I figured, no babies then. Well to my surprise a few babies had been living in the sump, eventually it turned to one. I thought cool. Well, yesterday I was sitting next to the tank and I see something in the corner of my eye fly through the tank. My solar wrasse immediately darted to it and snatches it up, so I see he spits it out and puts it back in its mouth, I figured the 1 survivor was at its end. I go later to feed the fish and molly I have in the sump and to my surprise a bunch of new babies. At least 3-4 new babies in each chamber. So I scooped them up and found this $1 container and have them in there now. Only thing is I have never seen any of my mollies eat algae, just flaked foods.
uploadfromtaptalk1428856349226.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1428856319815.jpg

You can see the one survivor from the original group is larger and white compared to the still translucent babies.[emoji3]

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back