Mollies in a reef?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost can't believe how good of an algae eater this Molly is. I'm literally watching him clean the tank like how a really really incredibly fast snail would.
This piece of PVC had that brown algae all the way up to the 45 elbow at the front this morning.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427354620.543812.jpg

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, an update is that while all the mollies seemed fine after just temp acclimation, I had a problem I did not anticipate. My lawnmower blenny seems to have a solid hatred for mollies. I am leaving the lights off today in hopes that calms him down. :(

Could be the competition for the algae? [emoji6]

Cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost can't believe how good of an algae eater this Molly is. I'm literally watching him clean the tank like how a really really incredibly fast snail would.
This piece of PVC had that brown algae all the way up to the 45 elbow at the front this morning.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427354620.543812.jpg
sweet!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are a couple of mine. The pic sucks. I'll try to get a better one later today. :)

2015-03-23 19.48.59.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at my tank today and saw my Molly had died and was half eaten and stuck to the side of a power head. I guess my Cowfish didn't take too kindly to him. I'll try again in my fuge eventually.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think the Cowfish killed him? Those things are as peaceful as it gets.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think the Cowfish killed him? Those things are as peaceful as it gets.

I do think so. I would usually say the same as far a peacefulness/aggression goes, however this one is a cranky little one. He chased a toadfish (who was several inches longer and had been in the tank for a few months prior) around the tank for quite a while when the Cowfish was first added and took a big chunk out of the toadys caudal fin. He eventually settled a bit after a day or two but still chased and nipped at the toady at feeding time.
When the Molly was added the Molly was hanging out in a corner in the front of the tank until the Cowfish started nipping it too. The Molly then retired to a rock only coming out to graze when the coast was clear. The Cowfish has also nipped me once or twice, although I assume he just thinks I'm food as he doesn't draw blood or even leave a mark.
The Molly was eating well, was grazing on the rocks and looked to be in great health. I can only assume it was the Cowfish for now.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do think so. I would usually say the same as far a peacefulness/aggression goes, however this one is a cranky little one. He chased a toadfish (who was several inches longer and had been in the tank for a few months prior) around the tank for quite a while when the Cowfish was first added and took a big chunk out of the toadys caudal fin. He eventually settled a bit after a day or two but still chased and nipped at the toady at feeding time.
When the Molly was added the Molly was hanging out in a corner in the front of the tank until the Cowfish started nipping it too. The Molly then retired to a rock only coming out to graze when the coast was clear. The Cowfish has also nipped me once or twice, although I assume he just thinks I'm food as he doesn't draw blood or even leave a mark.
The Molly was eating well, was grazing on the rocks and looked to be in great health. I can only assume it was the Cowfish for now.

Sounds like he's missing his rodeo days...

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip acclimated black sailfin mollies for my frag tank. They have been in my QT for almost 2 months now while I set the frag tank up. Cleanest tank i have ever had. I can leave the lights on all day everyday not a spec of algae.

This is when I drip acclimated. They are in a 40B now. Next time ill just try temp acclimating.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure mollies or guppies can osmoregulate in reef environment salinity. I've seen wild mollies in freshwater and in brackish mangrove environments, but never in reef or other environments without any supply of freshwater. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I'm not sure they would last as long or look as good. Wild green mollies in their natural environment are absolutely gorgeous.

There is actually a scientific paper from 2005 that studied osmoregulation in sailfin mollies, going all the way up to 90ppt, well above NSW. Mollies can readily osmoregulate at NSW's 35ppt.

willertac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool! I just showed my friend this thread because of her algae problem and she's considering it. After the algae's gone, however, she might give them to me to make way for a salt fish she had really wanted. Only thing is, I would be taking them from their salt tank and putting them into a fresh tank, do you think that's a good idea?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As unattractive as they are, I wouldn't want to "spend" the bio load but wow that's an algae eating fool!

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these would probably be awesome in a frag set up, and if they behave the same as freshwater they are awesome at many types of algae. I know my lfs had a large batch of platinum sailfin mollies come from a pond and had no issues acclimating half of them to saltwater for sale, I saw them in the store for several months doing well (I took some unacclimated ones home for a planted tank of my own). Mollies typically do grow larger and become more aggressive in saltwater iirc.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back