Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hey folks, i looked up the alphachemicals Mn @Rickyrooz posted, and it's got a lot of trace impurities... or are the amounts not enough to worry about? see the spec sheet below.

any better options, or has this particular product worked for everyone?

Screenshot_2018-04-25-15-49-14.png

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interested in the question about impurities.

What are the benefits of dosing molybdenum and manganese in a reef aquarium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey folks, i looked up the alphachemicals Mn @Rickyrooz posted, and it's got a lot of trace impurities... or are the amounts not enough to worry about? see the spec sheet below.

any better options, or has this particular product worked for everyone?

Screenshot_2018-04-25-15-49-14.png

This material looks quite good.

FWIW, they do not actually list any other element concentrations, except to state that they are lower than a certain value.

None of these would be a concern for dosing trace element, since you dose so little of even the main element, and everything else listed is much more than a thousand times lower in concentration.

For this reason, purity requirements on trace elements are not significant at all, relative to the purity requirements for things we add a lot of (alkalinity, calcium, etc.).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interested in the question about impurities.

What are the benefits of dosing molybdenum and manganese in a reef aquarium?

They are both needed by all organisms, and manganese is rapidly depleted in reef tanks. Just a little macroalgae growth can remove it all (or essentially all), for example.

That said, I don't agree with the reseller hype around trace elements that element X brings out color Y in corals. Far too simplistic.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both needed by all organisms, and manganese is rapidly depleted in reef tanks. Just a little macroalgae growth can remove it all (or essentially all), for example.

That said, I don't agree with the reseller hype around trace elements that element X brings out color Y in corals. Far too simplistic.

Thanks Randy! I’ll add these to my growing collection of DIY supplements:)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
re: manganese

omg...

with everyone's help and mental assistance (@ReefTeacher, @Randy Holmes-Farley), i just made my first DIY additive :eek:

using the alphachemicals.com "manganese sulfate" MnSO4 • H2O (i think the bag was 17 bucks), i made 1.5 liters, with a concentration that's 3.2 times the strength of triton's additive, with just this itsy-bitsy-tiny bit of powder...

20180503_155937.jpg

it's such a physically small amount of dust... ridiculous!

p.s. it gained weight by the second, sucking in moisture from the air... so measure fast lol

FGK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Triton test results and I need to increase both Molybdenum and Manganese. I am planning to buy manganese sulfate and sodium molybdate from alphachemicals.com. I need to increase Mo from 0.00 to 12 microgram/l; For Mn from 0.00 to 2.00 microgram/l. 100 gallon tank that has a 90 gallon real volume. I am looking for a recommendation for the mixture and dosage of these two elements.
Thanks

FGK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium Molybdate Dihydrate - Na2MoO4*2H2O

And

MnSO4*H2O

I am planning to do two separate solutions . I will mix with 500 ml RODI water. I am looking for a guidance of how much grams should I add to this RODI and how much ppm I would add per ml dose.

Thanks

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this post and was wondering if anyone has determined how much to dose of the sodium molybdate dihydrate?

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@David S, we base our Mo demand off of quarterly triton icp tests
Thanks for the quick reply.
Here's my situation, though:
I've had several ICP tests, including a few from Triton, and they have always shown my Molybdenum as undetectable.
In spite of the fact that I've dosed Kent's Strontium/Molybdenum supplement for years.
(BTW the Strontium is detectable).
So I thought I might do a DIY using Sodium Molybdate dihydrate. But I need to know how much of it to mix with RODI water and how much of the solution I might consider adding to my tank.
I'm doing this to see if it spurs growth of my macroalgae.

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, using the two MSDS sheets posted, how much Sodium Molybdate Dihydrate would it take to raise 10 gallons of water by 0.01 ppm (10 ug/L)? Also, the how much Manganese Sulfate would it take to raise 10 gallons of water by 0.0001 ppm (0.1 ug/L)?
Thank you

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 7.48.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 7.48.20 PM.png

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@David S looks like it's time to separate your strontium and molly dosing. yea, you'll haveta do math, kinda calculate backwards, starting with your system volume. how much is dosed depends on what concentration you end up diy'ing. i make my brother do the calcs now lol.

we haven't done the calcs yet for diy, we're still using our last bottles of ati molly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back