Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Improved, compared to not dosing, or was there not a “no dosing” period?

for Sr, there was never a no dosing period....yet haha.... so cannot tell if there's a difference. the 'transition' was seamless tho (from brightwell).

for Mn, also never a stop period, but we've been on diy Mn for more than a year now. we can see at the end of the week (we dose traces weekly) when Mn or Zn (can't tell which) is depleted, the elegance corals are not so elongated. they get better within minutes upon dosing, or at least it seems that way!

;Cat ;Cat ;Cat

Last edited:

Jcbueno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
re: manganese

omg...

with everyone's help and mental assistance (@ReefTeacher, @Randy Holmes-Farley), i just made my first DIY additive :eek:

using the alphachemicals.com "manganese sulfate" MnSO4 • H2O (i think the bag was 17 bucks), i made 1.5 liters, with a concentration that's 3.2 times the strength of triton's additive, with just this itsy-bitsy-tiny bit of powder...

20180503_155937.jpg

it's such a physically small amount of dust... ridiculous!

p.s. it gained weight by the second, sucking in moisture from the air... so measure fast lol
Do you have the recipe? How much do you use for what concentration ?

TheCoralExchange

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a recipe for the Alpha Chemicals Manganese and Molybdate?

Manganese Sulfate Powder

Sodium Molydbate

The best i've been able to find is this regarding the Manganese Sulfate which was referenced in another post with you and someone else...

"1 gram should contain 320mg of manganese. So 0.1 grams should have 32mg. If I dissolve 0.1 grams into 1000ml of rodi, I should have a solution with a concentration of 32ug/ml. My system volume is 100 gallons, or 379 liters. If I want a concentration of 1ug/l in my system, I need to dose 11.8ml of my solution."

Unfortunately math isn't my strong suite either and a zero in the wrong spot can do some serious damage potentially so I would want to make sure I have it right. I'm coming up short finding an answer of Molybdate diy though.

I'd like to try to start dosing but can't seem to find a guide on how much of these to dose. @Randy Holmes-Farley have you any idea?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a recipe I gave for anhydrous sodium molybdate.

Yours is a dihydrate, so you need to use about 15% more if you want to be super accurate (so if it calls for 1 mL, dose 1.15 mL).

Sodium molybdate has a molecular weight of 206 grams per mole.

Molybdenum has a molecular weight of 96 g/mole.

Thus, sodium molybdate is 96/206 x 100 = 46.6% molybdenum by weight

If you dissolve 1 gram (1,000 mg) in 1 L (1000 mL), that has a concentration of 1 mg/mL sodium molybdate or 0.5 mg/mL molybdenum

Natural levels of molybdenum are close to 10 ug/L.

If you want to boost 100 liters of aquarium water by 10 ug/L, you need 100 L x 10 ug/L = 1,000 ug or 1 mg.

Thus, 2 mL of your stock solution (that is 0.5 mg/mL) will add that 1 mg to the 100 liters of aquarium water.

TheCoralExchange

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a recipe I gave for anhydrous sodium molybdate.

Yours is a dihydrate, so you need to use about 15% more if you want to be super accurate (so if it calls for 1 mL, dose 1.15 mL).

Sodium molybdate has a molecular weight of 206 grams per mole.

Molybdenum has a molecular weight of 96 g/mole.

Thus, sodium molybdate is 96/206 x 100 = 46.6% molybdenum by weight

If you dissolve 1 gram (1,000 mg) in 1 L (1000 mL), that has a concentration of 1 mg/mL sodium molybdate or 0.5 mg/mL molybdenum

Natural levels of molybdenum are close to 10 ug/L.

If you want to boost 100 liters of aquarium water by 10 ug/L, you need 100 L x 10 ug/L = 1,000 ug or 1 mg.

Thus, 2 mL of your stock solution (that is 0.5 mg/mL) will add that 1 mg to the 100 liters of aquarium water.

Holy wow that is an incredibly small amount. I'm waiting on the molybdate to come in still, i've got everything I need though. I hope you won't mind me potentially picking ur brain a bit, i'm going to send in icp to ensure i stay ontop of this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy wow that is an incredibly small amount. I'm waiting on the molybdate to come in still, i've got everything I need though. I hope you won't mind me potentially picking ur brain a bit, i'm going to send in icp to ensure i stay ontop of this.

Hence the description as a "trace" element. There's only a trace present. :)

TheCoralExchange

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence the description as a "trace" element. There's only a trace present. :)

Ok i've made the solution for the Molydbate, that was easy enough, thank you for the help.

I've been trying to apply the math you gave me for the Molybdate to the Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate i've gotten, which was referenced here:

"1 gram should contain 320mg of manganese. So 0.1 grams should have 32mg. If I dissolve 0.1 grams into 1000ml of rodi, I should have a solution with a concentration of 32ug/ml. My system volume is 100 gallons, or 379 liters. If I want a concentration of 1ug/l in my system, I need to dose 11.8ml of my solution."

But 379 liters x 1ug/l = 379 still so am I to assume 11.8ml x 32ug = 377 which is close enough to 379? Sorry if this seem like a stupid question, i'm still trying to learn the maths so I can do it on my own, referencing and understanding prior stuff is the best way for me to learn... Thank you for your help so far :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i've made the solution for the Molydbate, that was easy enough, thank you for the help.

I've been trying to apply the math you gave me for the Molybdate to the Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate i've gotten, which was referenced here:

But 379 liters x 1ug/l = 379 still so am I to assume 11.8ml x 32ug = 377 which is close enough to 379? Sorry if this seem like a stupid question, i'm still trying to learn the maths so I can do it on my own, referencing and understanding prior stuff is the best way for me to learn... Thank you for your help so far :)

One of the facts about trace elements is that they vary a lot in nature with location and depth, and they also vary a lot in highly successful reef tanks. Sometimes they vary by 10x in nature, and many great tanks have some trace element s undetectable. Doesn't mean they might not be better with more (or less), but it means success is not a razor edge of concentration for most trace elements.

Consequently, there's no one specific value that is good and all others are less optimal. That means that the math need not be exact, and the difference between 379 and 377 in a calculation is totally insignificant.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back