Monitipora - Newbie

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaymondL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RaymondL

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2022
Messages
989
Reaction score
354
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I purchased a redcap monti - it's my first crack at SPS. I noticed that this coral along the edges and around appear to have a trim of white - is this natural and nothing to worry about, or is this indicative of too much light, which I'd be surprised as PAR is 210 where it's at.
 
That sounds like new growth.
Thank you. I was told that this is the best start to SPS type corals - is it challenging to have a mixed reef of SPS and LPS and soft corals? Given the Nitrates and Phosphates requirements.
 
Thank you. I was told that this is the best start to SPS type corals - is it challenging to have a mixed reef of SPS and LPS and soft corals? Given the Nitrates and Phosphates requirements.
I think the bigger challenge with a mixed reef is getting the flow and lighting dialed in. I have a mixed reef and keep my Phosphate around 0.04ppm and Nitrate around 10ppm. You can have success with lower and higher levels, Stability is the best thing for any tank.
 
Sounds like new growth to me so long as the rest of it is not faded or browning.

Thank you. I was told that this is the best start to SPS type corals - is it challenging to have a mixed reef of SPS and LPS and soft corals? Given the Nitrates and Phosphates requirements.

I think the challenging part to deal with in a mixed reef is coral warfare, flow, lighting. The nutrients is the easy stuff lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new