monitoring (not testing) the big 3

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new wave of products for automated testing of calcium, mag, and alk is hitting the market and making a big splash, but I've always wondered why we simply can't monitor them. I haven't seen any probes for alk, but magnesium and calcium probes are actually pretty readily available. I'm sure there's a reason, but I've always wondered why popular controllers aren't utilizing these yet.

For example, you can buy a Pinpoint Calcium Monitor for $250 and several companies offer a magnesium probe for around $400. Can someone please provide some clarification? Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new wave of products for automated testing of calcium, mag, and alk is hitting the market and making a big splash, but I've always wondered why we simply can't monitor them. I haven't seen any probes for alk, but magnesium and calcium probes are actually pretty readily available. I'm sure there's a reason, but I've always wondered why popular controllers aren't utilizing these yet.

For example, you can buy a Pinpoint Calcium Monitor for $250 and several companies offer a magnesium probe for around $400. Can someone please provide some clarification? Thanks
I believe it is because Calcium and Magnesium are single elements but Alkalinity is a compound that is in an equilibrium in our aquariums.

Maybe we can get @Randy Holmes-Farley to weight in, or you may want to ask again in the reef chemistry section. He does a good job monitoring there, but I'm sure he gets tagged A LOT and may not see this call out.

OP
OP
tiggs

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is because Calcium and Magnesium are single elements but Alkalinity is a compound that is in an equilibrium in our aquariums.

Maybe we can get @Randy Holmes-Farley to weight in, or you may want to ask again in the reef chemistry section. He does a good job monitoring there, but I'm sure he gets tagged A LOT and may not see this call out.

Thanks for the response! After re-reading my initial post, I'm realizing I didn't word it quite right. I'm more curious why popular controllers aren't utilizing the magnesium and calcium probes that are readily available. I'd bet that constant calcium and mag monitoring would be insanely appealing, yet the devices we're seeing release are just doing testing a few times per day. I can buy a $250 standalone device that'll monitor calcium with a probe in real time, yet the $800+ dollar controllers on the market can't do that and their answer is to release devices that perform calcium chemical tests the way we do, but just automate the process.

It definitely makes sense that alk is more complicated to monitor with a electrode (if that's even possible), so I understand that not being available in real time.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! After re-reading my initial post, I'm realizing I didn't word it quite right. I'm more curious why popular controllers aren't utilizing the magnesium and calcium probes that are readily available. I'd bet that constant calcium and mag monitoring would be insanely appealing, yet the devices we're seeing release are just doing testing a few times per day. I can buy a $250 standalone device that'll monitor calcium with a probe in real time, yet the $800+ dollar controllers on the market can't do that and their answer is to release devices that perform calcium chemical tests the way we do, but just automate the process.

It definitely makes sense that alk is more complicated to monitor with a electrode (if that's even possible), so I understand that not being available in real time.
Ah, I'm with you.

I believe it is due to cost concerns. Those testers aren't designed for continuous use. I believe the probes would need frequent replacement. My understanding is that the fact they are ion selective means that the more of those ions they are exposed to the more quickly they deplete.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back