OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sump is done and being prepped for shipment...

EqxLV39.jpg

8YsiDRl.jpg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
custom modular marine overflow. took two iterations but got it right finally.

one thing to note is that they cannot work with sch80 bulkheads like i REALLY wish they could/would for the internal to external box.

nonetheless, we will make it work.

internal weir box was increased to 30"
internal weir uses slots instead of teeth for optimal skimming efficiency and flow through as I will be pushing at least 3500gph
height of external box increased to 16" (24x8x16)

Strange, they did just that for me not too long ago. I shipped 4 bulkheads to them ahead and they embedded it into the internal box as requested.

I went with a single 66" long internal box with two outboxes.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Finished reading - wow, really nice build and great choice of equipment. Love it - keep going!

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Strange, they did just that for me not too long ago. I shipped 4 bulkheads to them ahead and they embedded it into the internal box as requested.

I went with a single 66" long internal box with two outboxes.
You had them use sch80 bulkheads for the internal box to external box connection?
Post up some photos as that was my dream and they said even though I sent it to them it was not going to work.
How thick is your tank glass? Mine was too thick to handle the needed thickness of my tank glass and the extra thickness of the overflow we overbuilt.
Where did you find sch80 with long threads?
I am half tempted to have them rebuild mine if yours is indeed what I think it is.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You had them use sch80 bulkheads for the internal box to external box connection?
Post up some photos as that was my dream and they said even though I sent it to them it was not going to work.
How thick is your tank glass? Mine was too thick to handle the needed thickness of my tank glass and the extra thickness of the overflow we overbuilt.
Where did you find sch80 with long threads?
I am half tempted to have them rebuild mine if yours is indeed what I think it is.

Yes, I did. I used 1-1/2" Schedule 80 bulkheads from BRS. I drilled out the pipe stop to open up the diameter and increase flow between internal and external box.

My glass is 19mm in the back of the tank and I used 1 seal between the glass and the external box.

I will snap some pics when I get home at night so that you see how much room there is to spare.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I did. I used 1-1/2" Schedule 80 bulkheads from BRS. I drilled out the pipe stop to open up the diameter and increase flow between internal and external box.

My glass is 19mm in the back of the tank and I used 1 seal between the glass and the external box.

I will snap some pics when I get home at night so that you see how much room there is to spare.
Yes, send me a PM if you don't mind and we can work out the details as I'd love to reach back out to them and have them make if they are willing now. You only really ever get one shot at doing things right and the sch40 2" bulkheads don't leave me feeling well.

Maybe because mine were 2" they did not have an adequate solution? Not sure.

Feel free to send pics too, sounds amazing what you built!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes, send me a PM if you don't mind and we can work out the details as I'd love to reach back out to them and have them make if they are willing now. You only really ever get one shot at doing things right and the sch40 2" bulkheads don't leave me feeling well.

Maybe because mine were 2" they did not have an adequate solution? Not sure.

Feel free to send pics too, sounds amazing what you built!

OK so i just checked at BRS and 1-1/2 & 2" schedule 80 bulkheads are same length (-1mm)

Unless your glass is thicker than 19mm and you decided to make internal and external boxes out of thicker acrylic I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There isn't much slack left on the threads on mine but I'd say one may get away with an additional 1/8"-1/4" of thickness. One can also slightly CNC route the openings to inset the bulkhead's flange and nut on thicker material.

Hope this helps.

I know he is very busy but if you give him time perhaps he can do something.

66" overflow on 83" long tank.

1656009303516.png

1656009363340.png

1656009434013.png

1656009524330.png

1656009617676.png

1656009663759.png

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ok. So this is the issue, it was not recommended for my setup to run it as you have it with only 1 seal. The seals on the sch80 are very thick so just one more eats all the length.

robbous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was worried about the ext8000 being too much skimmer with the rollermat and not having enough to run or keep a foam head.

spoke to royal xclusive folks

spoke to CV industries

spoke to reef octopus

spoke to MRC who makes the roller (infinity)

all seemed to agree I needed to go about 1/2 the size I would typically even with the system size and the large fish load I plan for the skimmer to work well due to the mrc infinity pulling waste at real time before it breaks down is not going to leave much for the skimmer

SO... i hadn't opened the 8000 yet and exchanged it for the 6000. at a loss of a few shipping dollars to ship the 8000 back, I now hopefully have a much better solution

xrBvTuP.jpg
So you had to go with a smaller skimmer? the reason I ask is because I have a Royal Exclusive Bubble King 300 supermarin skimmer on my 500 gallon display with a very high fish load ( 13 fish at least 12" long) and wanted to get one of these filter rollers, but if your saying the manufactures say you could go with smaller skimmer because roller breaks down waste in real time would mean I could maybe do the same. I really wanted to keep that beast of a skimmer as I have had it for 2 yrs now and the thing skims awesome! by the way I love your sump set up!!!!! just what I am looking for

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back