monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fish room in progress...

we dug about six inches below basement flooring and added a floor drain in the process as well.
the six inches the room sits in will allow any water leaks or large amount to absolutely stay in the room before trying to make it's way out under the walls.

the room can hold about 300g in the floor's six inches as a back up to a back up in case floor drain were clogged for some reason and catastrophic failure of tank (450g) above it.

filtration room is a bit small but I am going to have to make it work. 7' x 11'

made sure to get a 36" door to allow plenty of clearance for future frag tanks and water storage containers without trouble. basement has a 5' double door entry ten steps away.

there is a window in there and obviously then on an exterior wall for any other venting when window will not remain open (extreme temps months)

vapor barrier has begun in this photo and other walls as well once plumbing completes.
durock on wall shared with furnace room.

EWnipnx.jpg

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have a bunch of the other ubiquiti stuff so figured in order to keep the kids safe and keep the fish/reef safe from the kids, more like it, i will need a lock on the door. might as well have some fun with it.

currently in video set to a pin but will likely be using the NFC card for quicker access until they allow for a shorter pin code.

pretty neat entry and small project with 12v magnetic strike lock and high enough my kids can't reach

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
anyone see anything egregious with the design before I give the "OK" to cut?

things to remember/note
external skimmer so adjustable water isn't necessary but doing so just in case/future proof
left will be mrc infinity roller which takes all flow from tank, to right of that is four more inputs for inputs from frags/fuge/aux, extras, etc.
will probably use largest space for reactors or frag rack
all panels will be white
i requested filter sock holder/inserts just in case i sell sump in future any new owner doesn't want the roller mat/prefers socks
probe holder will be separate piece
feed tube is for custom avast plank feeder fitted
no holes for external pump to avoid creating a hole/failure point
all baffles have emergency opening at top in case of some sort of clog under baffle blocking water

thank you for any feedback

1650594702637.png

Attachments

• April-19-2022 (1).pdf
    219.8 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Made some holes… three for bean drains going from overflow straight down to filtration room in basement and one for conduit to run extensions of vortech drivers and other things that will be mounted on filtration room equipment panel and two more for two returns from UV to sea swirls.

DE66E847-FA54-49EC-B1D2-F3D761CFCC20.jpeg

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone see anything egregious with the design before I give the "OK" to cut?

things to remember/note
external skimmer so adjustable water isn't necessary but doing so just in case/future proof
left will be mrc infinity roller which takes all flow from tank, to right of that is four more inputs for inputs from frags/fuge/aux, extras, etc.
will probably use largest space for reactors or frag rack
all panels will be white
i requested filter sock holder/inserts just in case i sell sump in future any new owner doesn't want the roller mat/prefers socks
probe holder will be separate piece
feed tube is for custom avast plank feeder fitted
no holes for external pump to avoid creating a hole/failure point
all baffles have emergency opening at top in case of some sort of clog under baffle blocking water

thank you for any feedback

1650594702637.png
Overall I think the sump design looks good! My only thought would be trying to get the avast feeder hole closer to the input of the abyzz return pumps. Can you switch it to be on the right side (side closer to the pumps)? It may not matter too much with how strong the abyzz pumps are but just a thought to stop any of the food from hanging out in the sump long term.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Overall I think the sump design looks good! My only thought would be trying to get the avast feeder hole closer to the input of the abyzz return pumps. Can you switch it to be on the right side (side closer to the pumps)? It may not matter too much with how strong the abyzz pumps are but just a thought to stop any of the food from hanging out in the sump long term.
thank you! good feedback and although I don't think it will be an issue, i went ahead and made the change because I can and better to err on the safe side. it'll have almost 5k gph going through it so really hope it works out without issue.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! good feedback and although I don't think it will be an issue, i went ahead and made the change because I can and better to err on the safe side. it'll have almost 5k gph going through it so really hope it works out without issue.
Totally agree, it's a ton of turnover and water movement and I'm not sure it's needed but I tend to be overly cautious haha.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're going to love the Abyzz. The A400 is a beast. I replaced a RE 230 with an A400 and it pushes more water with less power. Ended up removing a second RE 230 that was running my frag tanks, scrubber, chiller and UV and running everything off the A400. Power to spare.

How are you going to run them? Think about how much water you will have going through the sump. Mine is 24" wide and the water going over the weirs is a good half inch high. I had to move things around to keep micro bubbles out of the display.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have a bunch of the other ubiquiti stuff so figured in order to keep the kids safe and keep the fish/reef safe from the kids, more like it, i will need a lock on the door. might as well have some fun with it.

currently in video set to a pin but will likely be using the NFC card for quicker access until they allow for a shorter pin code.

pretty neat entry and small project with 12v magnetic strike lock and high enough my kids can't reach

Smart move.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Totally agree, it's a ton of turnover and water movement and I'm not sure it's needed but I tend to be overly cautious haha.
me too!

You're going to love the Abyzz. The A400 is a beast. I replaced a RE 230 with an A400 and it pushes more water with less power. Ended up removing a second RE 230 that was running my frag tanks, scrubber, chiller and UV and running everything off the A400. Power to spare.

How are you going to run them? Think about how much water you will have going through the sump. Mine is 24" wide and the water going over the weirs is a good half inch high. I had to move things around to keep micro bubbles out of the display.
what is an RE230? and you ran the additional tanks, scrubber, etc off the same a400? that's awesome to hear and I am more hopeful of it's performance given the price.

my sump design is above. have a look and let me know your thoughts. my sump is 24" wide/front to back as well. i have a large section for bubbles to dissipate after the rollermat and two baffles so hopefully that will suffice. I really don't like microbubbles in the display. how much flow do you have going through sump? I will have one a400 to a manifold to a UV to two sea swirls returns at tank. there will be another pump under roller mat feeding external skimmer.

Smart move.
thanks!

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what is an RE230? and you ran the additional tanks, scrubber, etc off the same a400? that's awesome to hear and I am more hopeful of it's performance given the price.

my sump design is above. have a look and let me know your thoughts. my sump is 24" wide/front to back as well. i have a large section for bubbles to dissipate after the rollermat and two baffles so hopefully that will suffice. I really don't like microbubbles in the display. how much flow do you have going through sump? I will have one a400 to a manifold to a UV to two sea swirls returns at tank. there will be another pump under roller mat feeding external skimmer.
Royal Exclusive RD230.

My sump is pretty similar (52" long, 24" wide and 20" tall) but only three sections -- filter socks, skimmer and return pump. My skimmer section is 25" x 24". I run about 10" of water in it to ensure there is enough room to hold whatever back siphons when the power goes out. I assume that additional section in your sump is for a refugium. I elected to go with an algae reactor or scrubber. Also in my sump the last baffle section before the return pumps has three rather than two baffles (over- under-over).

In my prior pump set-up, I had the manifold pump in the skimmer section feeding the frag tanks, the reactors and the uv/chiller. All of those inputs except the UV/chiller emptied into that same skimmer section so a good portion of the water recirculated in that section and did not get to the main return pump section. I never had an issue with microbubbles with this setup. Once I hooked it all up to the A400, all of the output ends up going over the last baffles into the return pump section. I'm running it at 82% but have no good estimate of how much water flow that produces -- at least 3000-4,000 gph. (The tank return is 1.5" sch 80 that travels 35' horizontal and 6' vertical, the manifold pipe is mostly 1" sch 80 and has very little head pressure.) At that rate of flow microbubbles produced in the skimmer section can get swept into the return pump before they have a chance to rise to the surface. My solution is to have all of my manifold returns dump into mesh filter socks. I could also fit some coarse filter sponge between the baffles but I don't want the additional maintenance issue and frankly, the filter socks work fine.

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Royal Exclusive RD230.

My sump is pretty similar (52" long, 24" wide and 20" tall) but only three sections -- filter socks, skimmer and return pump. My skimmer section is 25" x 24". I run about 10" of water in it to ensure there is enough room to hold whatever back siphons when the power goes out. I assume that additional section in your sump is for a refugium. I elected to go with an algae reactor or scrubber. Also in my sump the last baffle section before the return pumps has three rather than two baffles (over- under-over).

In my prior pump set-up, I had the manifold pump in the skimmer section feeding the frag tanks, the reactors and the uv/chiller. All of those inputs except the UV/chiller emptied into that same skimmer section so a good portion of the water recirculated in that section and did not get to the main return pump section. I never had an issue with microbubbles with this setup. Once I hooked it all up to the A400, all of the output ends up going over the last baffles into the return pump section. I'm running it at 82% but have no good estimate of how much water flow that produces -- at least 3000-4,000 gph. (The tank return is 1.5" sch 80 that travels 35' horizontal and 6' vertical, the manifold pipe is mostly 1" sch 80 and has very little head pressure.) At that rate of flow microbubbles produced in the skimmer section can get swept into the return pump before they have a chance to rise to the surface. My solution is to have all of my manifold returns dump into mesh filter socks. I could also fit some coarse filter sponge between the baffles but I don't want the additional maintenance issue and frankly, the filter socks work fine.
not sure how RE didn't resonate with me and royal exclusiv.

the additional section in sump is open right now but a custom rack is being made for it for a small frag rack in case I want to use it that way.

with use of the mrc infinity I likely won't be able to grow macro/chaeto and will be adding nutrients to tank. if not, I plan on running the pax bellum. i love their design and efficiency.

that sounds like you got an awesome setup! thanks for sharing and look forward to reading more about your next set up in the new home!

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: I'm so jealous that you have access and the ability to do that! What weldon are you using to bind everything together?

OP
OP
monkiboy

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:eek: I'm so jealous that you have access and the ability to do that! What weldon are you using to bind everything together?
oh goodness! this is definitely NOT my doing.
adaptive reef is doing all the genius work for my sump, sump stand skirt, and equipment walls/paneling, etc.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back