Monster difference: What new challenges come with a big tank?

What new challenges come with a big tank?

• Supporting the weight of the tank

Votes: 125 46.8%
  • Difference in approach to flow

Votes: 116 43.4%
  • Difference in approach to lighting

Votes: 88 33.0%
  • Difference in approach to filtration

Votes: 76 28.5%
  • Difference in water changes and water supply

Votes: 146 54.7%
  • Difference in control system

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 33 12.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Monster difference: What new challenges come with a big tank?

Do you remember the classic line from the movie Jaws: “You’re gonna need a bigger boat” or the line from the Taco Bell commercial where the chihuahua says: “Uh oh, I think I need a bigger box”? When we add a monster tank, sometimes we realize that we need much bigger pumps, a LOT more lights, and even just putting the tank in place is a whole new challenge. Just building the aquascape or doing water changes can introduce new opportunities. What is the same and what is different with monster tanks? If you’ve ever built a monster tank, planned one, or helped someone build one, what tips do you have to share or what should be avoided? Let us know in the comments below!

GWS3ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @gws3

Sure, virtually all tanks need flow, light, filtration, and more. Is there a point or points along the spectrum of the size of a tank where the approaches change? It would seem that there is some operational differences between taking care of a 10g all-in-one and taking care of a 5,000 gallon reef tank. At some point do the way that you create flow patterns change or maybe a massive water change is no longer a realistic solution even though it would have worked with a smaller tank? Have you found this to be true? If so, where do you think that those thresholds or transition points are between different sizes of tanks. Please share you thoughts in the discussion below!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One common theme I usually see with building bigger tanks is making sure the support will hold the tank with all of its contents in it. It's always concerning to me to wonder if the house will be able to support the tank or will the floor start to bow because of it. Also trying to find a stand that is both sturdy while also looking pleasing to the eye is a challenge as well!!

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from someone going through all those challenges I've try'd my best to work through them. Beefing the floor, finding the right amount of flow and dealing with cords on the end of the tank that you view is a pain. My next project is to get a canopy built and hide the cords in there. I could go on and write a book on this new build but I'm not to keen on writing a book, lol. The tank is a 312 gallon panencala built by @Glasscages The dimensions are 96×30×25. The sump is a custom built 110 gallon that I made with most of the features I wanted.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is 850 gallons and the biggest difference I believe is cost, there are other things to consider, but to run an 850 gallon system the cost is the #1 obstacle. The tank itself, the sump, huge skimmers, massive amount of light needed. Pumps, filtration, additives, maintenance, it all gets very expensive the larger you go. Just the amount of salt you go through, most people with small tanks couldn't even imagine. I would never want to go back to a small tank, but I'm fortunate that I can make the budget work.
IMG_1671.JPEG

IMG_1672.JPEG

IMG_1685.JPEG

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing for me right now is trying to balance the flow in my upgraded 240. I didn't want to put powerheads on one side because that side actually is "built into the wall" (fish room behind it), and thus the side is actually the corner of the wall. Therefore, I wanted to preserve viewing areas. This leaves 2 pumps on the non-viewing wall opposite that is in the fish room and pumps on the back wall. My issues have been the strong pull of the flow to the nonviewing side despite the low settings. It is a battle that annoys me every day!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost to fill it with life.Cost to dose it. Cost for everything. Much more time cleaning. The best advice I ever got when I started my business was stay small and you will always be profitable. I've found that to be true. If only I took that advice and applied it to this hobby..

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got into this hobby I was told the bigger the better for a beginner. That is true in some ways but I now wish I'd started with a 50-100Gal as the cost of filling, lighting, and maintaining my 110+45 is more than I had bargained for.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As many know, I always have big tanks and since Move delay is in place, I set up a 400g a little over a week ago. Other than considering weight distribution, I think I went for big tanks mainly because of ease of maintenance. With the higher water volume, I do less water changes and maintenance overall and have room for many occupants.
An example of the most recent setup is. . crystal clear, no diatoms, easier landscape and enjoyment.
The only challenges is More salt, more sand and added lighting costs but I already have a bunch of Orpheks so, no issue.
Having a controller unit makes automation and switching so much easier.
In the future I will be setting up the 1500g and that will require more lights, flow pumps and will require 7 buckets of salt for startup

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing for me right now is trying to balance the flow in my upgraded 240. I didn't want to put powerheads on one side because that side actually is "built into the wall" (fish room behind it), and thus the side is actually the corner of the wall. Therefore, I wanted to preserve viewing areas. This leaves 2 pumps on the non-viewing wall opposite that is in the fish room and pumps on the back wall. My issues have been the strong pull of the flow to the nonviewing side despite the low settings. It is a battle that annoys me every day!
Closed loop flow may be your solution

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest difference for me (450 gallons) is water quality maintenance. Doing water changes aren’t as feasible so I have to focus on nutrient export and supplementing the water

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm no expert on the subject matter but @ScottB has a 10ft frag tank build where flow is a big consideration. His solution was a powersweep? Might give that a go perhaps or closed loop.

Edit for direct link:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back