Monthly fee to use lights!!!?!?!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the difference within your scenario is that car companies have deep pockets and are always looking for ways to squeeze more out of the consumer. If an added fee doesn't stick, they simply pivot and move on.

This is a bit different. Passing the cost of the cloud based subscription to the customer comes from a position of humility. We may OR may not believe the story that the owner can no longer afford to pay to keep the services free without charging consumers. But I tend to think that most of us don't have a reason not to believe the owner.

To speak with your wallet now, may simply mean that every one who already has this brand of light will be left with a "brick."

Nobody wants to start paying for something they we were getting for free. Unfortunately, this has become a reality and it's very unfortunate for those that own these lights.

I don't know what the future holds for this company. Perhaps this subscription will turn things around and keep the momentum going and maybe this can be temporary. There is definitely a cult like following for this brand.
What the owner is dealing with has nothing to do with a product that no longer works the way it was sold. The consumer now has to put more and more money into the product so it works properly. It’s not about if there is a reason to believe or not believe what the owner is saying. The trust is already broken. Who’s to say next year it will not cost double to keep the lights from functioning?

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the owner is dealing with has nothing to do with a product that no longer works the way it was sold. The consumer now has to put more and more money into the product so it works properly. It’s not about if there is a reason to believe or not believe what the owner is saying. The trust is already broken. Who’s to say next year it will not cost double to keep the lights from functioning?
I understand the frustration, and I understand the concern of consumer.

Unfortunately, it has everthing do do with what the owner is dealing with. I think I understand the purpose and end game of this thread. 1st is to shed light to the issue. 2nd, is to try and dissuade the owner from following through.

I'm not discounting users emotions, but reality is just that, this is a rock and a hard place for all parties.

It had nothing to do with some unwritten trust or agreement between consumer and merchant. The owner thought he could assume the cost of cloud based services based on company projections. Unfortunately, the tides have changed and faced with 2 choices... 1, fold up shop leaving everyone with a brick, or 2, create a monthly service charge for customers to keep the light working.

How we got here is irrelevant, how we move forward is based on the decision of the consumer. Do you double down and pay the monthly fee? Or do you chalk it up as a loss, wipe the slate clean, go purchase another fixture and in the future cite this experience as a cautionary tale?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a habit of clearing my email notifications and not actually reading them. A friend of mine alerted me to this thread today, knowing I had a Nanobox Duo light. I did a search for "Bluefish" on my emails and this is what turned up. Received 12-2-22.

I'm not currently using the light, and it seems I won't be using it in the future either. Such a shame, it's a beautiful hand made light with an awesome spectrum.

Screenshot_20230420_164905_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20230420_164920_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20230420_164937_Gmail.jpg

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The monthly fee is $2 a month with the annual subscription. I would easily pay that for nanobox if they were still a thing.

Find a used one. I have updated arrays that are better than ever. Simple plug and play replacement. I also have 2 Tides that I am completely rebuilding and would likely sell. Being powdercoated right now in a matte white. But could get that changed.

I have a habit of clearing my email notifications and not actually reading them. A friend of mine alerted me to this thread today, knowing I had a Nanobox Duo light. I did a search for "Bluefish" on my emails and this is what turned up. Received 12-2-22.

I'm not currently using the light, and it seems I won't be using it in the future either. Such a shame, it's a beautiful hand made light with an awesome spectrum.

I have updated arrays that make the spectrum even better.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don’t believe so. All control, even just simply turning the lights on has to be done through the bluefish app. It’s a shame because these nanobox lights aren’t made anymore and the spectrum and color they provide is amazing!

You absolutely can get a different controller to control these lights. If you are interested I can help you out. I even have brand new NB arrays that I am making with updated LEDs and a better spectrum.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back