Nitrite-0
Nitrate-15
Phosphate-trace
PH-8.2
Alk-8
Calcium-480
Mag-1500
Tested today

Should I do a water change since it has been a month since my last 25% water change?

I have 2 diamond gobies
1 clownfish
1 firefish
1 royal Gramma
1 anemone
10 different coral frags

Everything is looking good so I’m not sure if a water change is needed or I should do it anyway regardless.

Also I have various snails, crabs, and 2 peppermint shrimp.

Appreciate any advice y’all can give

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which parameter are you unhappy with?

I’m happy with all my parameters but I had either read or was told that I needed to do a 25% water change at least once a month so that’s why I am asking y’all for help

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy with all my parameters but I had either read or was told that I needed to do a 25% water change at least once a month so that’s why I am asking y’all for help
In your case I would do water changes as normal maintenance. You would be better doing 10% a week, but in your case you could probably do 10% every 2 weeks and still be fine.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my awesome aquarium that I was finally able to get up to par

619057AF-ED88-457D-8331-C3D9245B237F.jpeg

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. You don't have a ton of corals (yet)..so there is not much to consume your trace elements. As you add livestock you will likely see a dip in your levels. It will then be time to adjust via water changes or dosing. There are so many ways to keep a healthy reef.

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on adding more corals I just have to do it a little at a time...my husband thinks that I have enough corals. He says that I don’t want to over crowd them

OP
OP
Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never test. I just do the water changes every week.

I had to make myself quit testing daily and just weekly because I had almost given up on my tank. I couldn’t seem to get the nitrates down no matter what I did (fish only at the time). Then my husband bought me an ro/di system and a bio pellet reactor and my nitrates started dropping. That’s when I got my groove back

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some people on here that change some water every day with automatic systems, some like me that do it weekly, twice a month, 4 times a year and never.

Finding what works for you and what is in your tank is one of the skills you develop when you keep this up.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
I had to make myself quit testing daily and just weekly because I had almost given up on my tank. I couldn’t seem to get the nitrates down no matter what I did (fish only at the time). Then my husband bought me an ro/di system and a bio pellet reactor and my nitrates started dropping. That’s when I got my groove back
I went through the same thing when I first started keeping a reef last year. I was stubborn when I started out and used tap water. I learned quickly that this was a BAD idea..then I got an rodi system. I thought this was good enough along with bi-weekly 10-15% water changes and a skimmer. Nope!..I had a HUGE hair algae bloom, and was ready to throw in the towel. I then started carbon dosing, and voila, nitrates went down quickly. I still carbon dose and have added a refugium with chaeto. Now I am worried about my nitrates/phosphates being too low, and am slowly reducing carbon dosing. I agree with Ned that finding what works for you is a skill that develops with experience.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back