Monti Bleaching?

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my Jedi mind trick plating Monti bleaching? I can't tell. Whenever the lights go out, it looks fairly normal. It looks okay under white light but rough under blue light. All other corals are doing great. If it is bleaching, can you tell me why?

Parameters:
Phosphate: 0.08 ppm
Nitrate: 8.2 ppm
Alkalinity: 11.3 dKH
Calcium: 470 ppm
Salinity: 32.5 ppt
Temp: 77.8 Farenheight

I saw my Nitrate is a bit high, so I was gonna do a 25% water change. Also, the coral looks a bit more bleached then it does in the pic.

tempImageZL3S9n.jpg

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you share a pic of how it looks under white light? From this pic it looks dead to me with spots of algae or diatoms starting to show up. I think I can even see the holes where the polyps used to be.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you share a pic of how it looks under white light? From this pic it looks dead to me with spots of algae or diatoms starting to show up. I think I can even see the holes where the polyps used to be.
This is it under white light. I can try more white light though.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it under white light. I can try more white light though.

im assuming that’s the “on” button on an ai prime light? It may look white to the eye but all colours channels are still being used so it still looks extra blue on a camera. Best bet to get a clear shot is to go to manual mode and turn off each channel except for white.

Sorry about the monti though

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you think it would be able to heal, or should I remove it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is my Jedi mind trick plating Monti bleaching? I can't tell. Whenever the lights go out, it looks fairly normal. It looks okay under white light but rough under blue light. All other corals are doing great. If it is bleaching, can you tell me why?

Parameters:

I saw my Nitrate is a bit high, so I was gonna do a 25% water change. Also, the coral looks a bit more bleached then it does in the pic.

tempImageZL3S9n.jpg
Alk at high point and salinity too low (you want 1.025 salinity and alk around 10). Place it at moderate light and water flow and fix salinity for best recovery chance

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at high point and salinity too low (you want 1.025 salinity and alk around 10). Place it at moderate light and water flow and fix salinity for best recovery chance
I use the Coral Pro Salt Mix, and it has a high alkalinity concentration. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow, but was worried about raising the salinity back to its desired point, because I think it would also raise the alk. Would it, or is salinity more important? What's your suggestion?

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coral will not wilt away in those perimeters. Not great at all but thats not the problem. Did you blast it with light off the get go or did it look like that outta the bag? How long have you had the thing?

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coral will not wilt away in those perimeters. Not great at all but thats not the problem. Did you blast it with light off the get go or did it look like that outta the bag? How long have you had the thing?
It looked great when I got it. I got it around 2 and a half weeks ago. The lights at the place I got it were about the same as mine and I acclimated it to the light. What about my parameters is bad? Could you elaborate on that? Thank you!

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you think it would be able to heal, or should I remove it.
If you can actually still see polyps on it it’s definitely possible to recover. I’ve had a superman monti recover after dying back to just a dozen or so polyps left. Unfortunately I ended up losing it from a crash after a power outage.

I still consider myself a noob when it comes to reefing though so I’ll let others chime in with advice helping you get it back if it’s still alive.

best of luck!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no coral reefs in salinity below 32ppt, so you are definitely stressing your coral.
The only critical parameter in your tank is salinity and I would definitely raise it up. Nitrates, phosphates are O.K.
Some people keep alkalinity at your level, but corals need to acclimate to that.
If you introduce coral from vendor, it most probably was raised with Alk of something around 8-10 and dropping it to a tank with dKH of 11.3 it is kind of a shock.
We are again raising the subject of salts with high alkalinity.
Those are clearly not for everybody. If you want to run your DT at Akalinity of 12 , you probably need to acclimate your frags in a separate tank.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have montis that love low #s and also high #s. I believe its one funny downfall to aquaculture where you have to be really careful with what these coral were raised on and got used to living in. Not only nutrients but light as well. Can't just throw it in and hope for the best. I run halides and salinity at 26 but not everyone else does and some of these guys are more picky than you think. I deal with a great vendor here who keeps his sal at 24.5 and runs leds and there are at least 4 sps strains of his that melt under halides. I would try an iodine dip cant hurt anything at all, its like aloe for a sunburn but better.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Parameters:

tempImageZL3S9n.jpg
How long has the tank been running?

Your Salinity is low for coral and your Alk is high

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use the Coral Pro Salt Mix, and it has a high alkalinity concentration. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow, but was worried about raising the salinity back to its desired point, because I think it would also raise the alk. Would it, or is salinity more important? What's your suggestion?
Regardless of alk content, a salt mix will mix to desired salinity. More salt does not amount to more alk but I see what you are thinking. 8-11 is typical range so you are not drastically high assuming your test results are accurate.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eter in your tank is salinity and I would definitely raise it up. Nitrates, phosphates are O.K.
Some people keep alkalinity at your level, but corals need to acclimate to that.
If you introduce coral from vendor, it most probably was
How long has the tank been running?

Your Salinity is low for coral and your Alk is high
Tank has been running for a year and a half, but I haven't had much livestock due to budget

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of alk content, a salt mix will mix to desired salinity. More salt does not amount to more alk but I see what you are thinking. 8-11 is typical range so you are not drastically high assuming your test results are accurate.
"More salt does not amount to more alk"
It actually does.Red Sea Pro Salt mix has higher Alkalinity at salinity 35ppt then at 30.6 as shown on picture below.
Most salts mixes that way.

Attachments

• RedSea.jpg
    RedSea.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 30

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
"More salt does not amount to more alk"
It actually does.Red Sea Pro Salt mix has higher Alkalinity at salinity 35ppt then at 30.6 as shown on picture below.
Most salts mixes that way.
Thats what I said. After 40 yearss of this, I think ive tried every salt out there. To think I used to pay $20 for a 200 gal bucket of IO way back then.
Red sea pro and TM actif mixes high.

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 3 week old Monti bleaching for no apparent reason, while everything else I put in at the same time (including Acro) are doing fine.

Your salinity is low. But otherwise, sometimes a coral just doesn’t like your tank. It happens!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back