Monti cap color question

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed just recently that my orange Monti Caps have a really nice bright orange color around the edges to about a half inch in. Then the older growth has more of s brown orange color to it. Is that normal or do I have something going on?

Thanks
John

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic for reference.

B9CB6F35-CA53-4CD9-9D97-552BCE7E32B4.jpeg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look closely, most of what you described as color difference is actually a texture difference. In the center there's more ridges and wrinkles, presumably created by the coral to adjust the flow around the polyps, and help them capture nutrients better.

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look closely, most of what you described as color difference is actually a texture difference. In the center there's more ridges and wrinkles, presumably created by the coral to adjust the flow around the polyps, and help them capture nutrients better.

I didn’t notice that until you said it. The original piece I bought was shaped like a pyramid and I could light all sides. So I broke off small pieces to grow out and gave the rest away. I just don’t remember the middle looking as dull and brown. By naked eye it appears a little more brownish than the pic shows.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that is pretty common. Older caps will generally be a darker color in the middle and lighter or a different color all together on the younger growth. I had a green cap that had a bright blue rim, neon green polyps and gaded to a darker green in the center. Also an orange cap that was dark orange on the rim and almost a red in the center.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back