Monti nudi damage patterns.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I bought this cap 7 weeks ago on impulse. When I dipped it and inspected for pests i noticed these dead spots on the bottom. The guy I bought it from is a hobbyist turn coral farmer. With over $100k in coral in his one system I feel pretty confident in his coral quarantine procedure. For the time being, my coral qt is a 10g with huge ph swings and an old non dimmable led which is overkill. The coral has slowly faded from the stress and I feel it’s time to move the coral to my display.

There are no dead spots on the top of the coral. The dead spots dont seem to have gotten any bigger when comparing pictures from today and 7 weeks ago. I inspected it probably once a week at night and never saw a nudi.

Sorry if it sounds like i’m being way to cautious. I got back into reefing this year thinking I was being cautious but ended up having to sterilize my whole system and start over after finding that aiptasia, vermetids and ich found their way in. After all the work I had to do to start this tank over clean and free of pests I am terrified to add anything new especially after seeing how devastating monti nudis can be for others. Is this similar to the patterns nudis leave? Would you move the coral to your thriving pest free display? It’s currently acclimating in my sump but I figured I should check here before dumping it in. The first photo is from 7 weeks ago, the second is today. There is a spot right next to the plug that looks a lot like some kind of egg sac but it’s just superglue. And yes, I broke those little vermetids off before acclimating.
411A652B-32F5-4534-B2A1-768A3BB1D24C.jpeg
EA1B913F-4909-4D5F-9042-746358C7721F.png

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not totally sure but I’ve had air bubbles cause damage to chalices that look like that from underneath. Increase flow around the coral and see what happens.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i fought them for several years (and it continues) , but i dont fight anymore... but i never had any marks like that

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur. Not nudis. The easiest way to determine nudis is to examine the coral/frag at night. Nudis don't move too quick and you will see a whole line of them along the margin like white lace. I have them in my frag tank currently. I keep them at bay with yellow coris wrasses, 6 line wrasses and peppermint shrimp. So very rare that damage becomes visible, but I know they are still there. They are just waiting for the tide to turn.

Dennis

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reassurance guys and i’m sorry i failed to respond. I thought I did but I guess not!

ikolbaba06- I think you hit the nail on the head! I had some microbubbles in my tank yesterday and noticed bubbles collection in the dead spots!

I feel like a germophobe but with pests, fish and coral parisites. I feel lucky that the two dozen corals are truly pest free- all but the newest monti i’ve had 6+ months. My tank is finally doing wonderful after so many setbacks and i’m afraid to add anything new. Next week I will have water in my 40 breeder system which will serve as a second display but mainly as a quarantine tank or stepping stone to monitor new purchases. Of course I will be using extreme scrutiny when purchasing corals, strong dipping procedure along with removing all the frag plug possible and coating the rest in epoxy and/or super glue.

Getting back into the hobby I wasted 4 months of progress due to calculated risk quarantine procedure. Starting with anything but sterile rock, sand and proven, long term quarantine procedure is a waste of time and money.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back