Monticaps always die?

Zeuserdoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank is almost two years old. After about six months, I started adding corals. One of the first ones that I added was a red Monticap. It looked great for about six weeks, and then it started to bleach, and after a few weeks, it was gone. I have tried three more times, with two red, and one green Monti, and they all slowly bleached and died.

I’ve kept three Acros without any problems, they are actually growing pretty well, and a branching forest fire Monti digita, that is also growing well. I try to keep all my parameters in line with natural seawater.

Is there some kind of secret to keeping Monticaps? What might I be doing wrong?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My reef tank is almost two years old. After about six months, I started adding corals. One of the first ones that I added was a red Monticap. It looked great for about six weeks, and then it started to bleach, and after a few weeks, it was gone. I have tried three more times, with two red, and one green Monti, and they all slowly bleached and died.

I’ve kept three Acros without any problems, they are actually growing pretty well, and a branching forest fire Monti digita, that is also growing well. I try to keep all my parameters in line with natural seawater.

Is there some kind of secret to keeping Monticaps? What might I be doing wrong?
Often they dont share the same requirements as SPS coral and often its believed they need high flow and bright light which often is not the case. Mine does best under subtle light and moderate water flow but every tank will be different based on volume and size

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back