Montipora Digitata (New Tank)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sinkers
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sinkers

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2024
Messages
203
Reaction score
151
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Wondering if Monti Digitata would do ok in a new tank?

I will be starting to add some corals soon, starting out a mixed reef. Was thinking of grabbing a frag of Digi to give a go but unsure if I'd be making a mistake putting it into a new tank. From what I've seen it's a little more beginner friendly than Acros so was hoping it would be possible to add from the start rather than add later?

Cheers.
 
Great choice if you are ready to keep up with the alk and calcium draw. As you know, some say wait until the tank matures but I never listen to that when I am eager to add coral! GL.

Don't add others until the digi is growing like a weed. Its a good indicator of tank readiness for more challenging acros.
 
Great choice if you are ready to keep up with the alk and calcium draw. As you know, some say wait until the tank matures but I never listen to that when I am eager to add coral! GL.

Don't add others until the digi is growing like a weed. Its a good indicator of tank readiness for more challenging acros.
Do you dose from the beginning or monitor the parameters first just doing water changes and see what is needed from there?
 
At first. You want to establish an uptake curve to figure out how often and how much you need to add. As that changes you need to adjust. Eventually you’ll have an idea of how much you need to dose and can reduce your test frequency. M
 
At first. You want to establish an uptake curve to figure out how often and how much you need to add. As that changes you need to adjust. Eventually you’ll have an idea of how much you need to dose and can reduce your test frequency. M
What do you use for dosing? Any recommendations?
 
Hey guys,

Wondering if Monti Digitata would do ok in a new tank?

I will be starting to add some corals soon, starting out a mixed reef. Was thinking of grabbing a frag of Digi to give a go but unsure if I'd be making a mistake putting it into a new tank. From what I've seen it's a little more beginner friendly than Acros so was hoping it would be possible to add from the start rather than add later?

Cheers.
Maybe. What’s your experience level?
 
Maybe. What’s your experience level?
I'm new to reefing but willing to research more. I'll be doing mostly LPS but interested to see what's involved in keeping some of the easier SPS and progress from there.
 
Very experienced reefers might have success but the majority of us will fail with that in a new tank. You do realize your first year will be filled with ugly phases right?
 
Very experienced reefers might have success but the majority of us will fail with that in a new tank. You do realize your first year will be filled with ugly phases right?
Well with that attitude it will lol. From what research I've done, Digi seems to be some of the easier SPS to keep so thought why not give it a go (if it's possible in new tanks). I realize ugly phases are a thing yeh, is that a problem for Digi? I wouldn't be trying it until I felt comfortable I have an understanding of maintaining the parameters it needs.
 
I'm new to reefing but willing to research more. I'll be doing mostly LPS but interested to see what's involved in keeping some of the easier SPS and progress from there.
I’d see how you do with soft coral first. If they do well for a few months, then add lps. If they also do well after a few more months, then consider easier sps like digi. It gives you time to gain knowledge on what you’ll need to do for maintenance and if your equipment choices work well for the livestock you want to keep. And it will also give time for your tank to mature. A newly cycled tank is not ready for many coral species, and patience is the key for successful reef tanks. Good luck, and welcome to reefing!
 
Well with that attitude it will lol. From what research I've done, Digi seems to be some of the easier SPS to keep so thought why not give it a go (if it's possible in new tanks). I realize ugly phases are a thing yeh, is that a problem for Digi? I wouldn't be trying it until I felt comfortable I have an understanding of maintaining the parameters it needs.
If you don't swing the bat you won't get a hit. Just giving you some realistic idea of the obstacles for a new Reefer trying to start out with a moderately difficult coral. If you want some advice. Leave your lights off the first 4 months, add a fee pieces of actual live wet ocean rock. Let your tank develop biodiversity and microfauna then when you turn on your lights and add corals you will have better success and more manageable ugly phases because you jump started your biome.
 
If you don't swing the bat you won't get a hit. Just giving you some realistic idea of the obstacles for a new Reefer trying to start out with a moderately difficult coral. If you want some advice. Leave your lights off the first 4 months, add a fee pieces of actual live wet ocean rock. Let your tank develop biodiversity and microfauna then when you turn on your lights and add corals you will have better success and more manageable ugly phases because you jump started your biome.
Yeh I'm leaving the lights off for a bit. I already have my aquascape but could possibly add a few smaller islands
 
Go for it. My digi grows so crazy I cut it and Chuck it constantly. My bicolor angel and linear blenny maul it so polyps are never out when lights are on and it still grows out of control. It's the green star polyp of sps. My orange shoulder tang breaks peices of it off constantly and they grow everywhere. Easy stuff. Let it rip.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new