Montipora eating nudibranch

  • Thread starter Thread starter CORDINO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CORDINO

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
Ashland Or.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of montipora eating nudis so I removed all my montipora, dipped them and placed them in a qurantine tank I set up, the question is how long should they be left out of my main tank to make sure all the remaining ones have starved and the remaining eggs have hached and those starved?
 
When I had them and beat them, I had the luxury o fnumerous separate systems. That said, this is what I did.

Using my bandsaw, I cut every speck of non tissue covered area off the coral I was keeping, and covered it in superglue gel (the non tissue area;)). They all got dipped weekly for about four weeks. I never had any signs of issues after the initial cutting/gluing/dipping, but the eggs can be a nightmare. By nature, there was sacrificial Monti left encrusted on the rocks in the display. I let the nudis do their worst and then die off over the next few months (like I said, I had the luxury of numerous tanks). All said and done, I had the pieces I was saving out of the display system for about a year or more... No signs of anything since before removing them from the display, so it may have been unnecessary, but with no return, I'm happy with the results. I placed a sacrificial cap in there and when it had grown to a sizable piece with no attacks, I felt pretty good about them being gone. I'm a master of overkill, though;).
 
Thanks for the input, I have had my monti's out for 3 weeks and no sign of nudis, mabey ill wait another couple months before reintroducing back into the tank.
 
I would wait about a week more or so.... what I did is same as you removed my montis, but I also, like gflat said, cut all the edges and a bit more of what seemed to have been eaten tissue, and threw away the edges... it seemed to work as I noticed they tend to eat from the borders in; however always dip!
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new