Moorish idol and Heniochus butterfly

Omar22407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, has anyone ever had a moorish idol for more than a year and can they be put with a tang and a henochoius butterfly?

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, has anyone ever had a moorish idol for more than a year and can they be put with a tang and a henochoius butterfly?
Idols are almost IMPOSSIBLE to keep… it’s one of those few that are better left in the ocean. I, personally, wouldn’t own one due to the cost and really high possibility that it would not survive.

OP
OP
Omar22407

Omar22407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idols are almost IMPOSSIBLE to keep… it’s one of those few that are better left in the ocean. I, personally, wouldn’t own one due to the cost and really high possibility that it would not survive.
Yeah I understand that, they have one at my lfs for 91 and it’s eating

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept both, but personally wouldn't mess with either unless it's a really large, mature tank. Heniochus sp., get too big for most home aquariums, and there are tons of documented info why Idols are best left in the ocean. Just my $.02.

OP
OP
Omar22407

Omar22407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept both, but personally wouldn't mess with either unless it's a really large, mature tank. Heniochus sp., get too big for most home aquariums, and there are tons of documented info why Idols are best left in the ocean. Just my $.02.
Yeah so I shouldn’t get it ?

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to keep yes, impossible NO. I have had mine for 4 years now in my 250. He alone eats a full sheet of Nori a day. The key is to QT and get him eating while alone in Qt. The proper diet is a must. He eats mysis, LRS, NORI and mix of pellets and Spirulina flake. Don’t try to limit his diet to just flakes and feed him often. By far the most beautiful fish in my tank. Make sure he is eating before you buy. He is in a tank with 4 tangs including an Achilles and purple and no issues at all. All have been together for years.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to keep yes, impossible NO. I have had mine for 4 years now in my 250. He alone eats a full sheet of Nori a day. The key is to QT and get him eating while alone in Qt. The proper diet is a must. He eats mysis, LRS, NORI and mix of pellets and Spirulina flake. Don’t try to limit his diet to just flakes and feed him often. By far the most beautiful fish in my tank. Make sure he is eating before you buy. He is in a tank with 4 tangs including an Achilles and purple and no issues at all. All have been together for years.
question, does the idol eat your sps or other corals?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back