Moorish idol streamer fell off .

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not sure if this is a normal thing for these guys but I have had my idol for over 2 months now and his streamer was about 8-9 inches long. It was fine after work today but I went to the store and came back and it seems it has fallen off either by a power head or another fish (doubtful considering he is the most aggressive in the tank ). When I say its gone I am talking about the extremely thin part of it that just goes with the flow and not the section that the fish can actually move. Can anyone tell me if this is somewhat normal thing to happen or should I worry ? Thanks.

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesnt sound normal for any fish no experience with idols though , is he still eating? If he is still eating and the damage is only flesh not bone there is a good chance it will heal over time.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not completely abnormal if kept with tangs or other aggressors. It will grow back.

If spines of fin are exposed it would be a good idea to watch out for secondary bacterial infection.

My idol has lost his streamer twice. It always comes back!

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not completely abnormal if kept with tangs or other aggressors. It will grow back.

It spines of fin are exposed it would be a good idea to watch out for secondary bacterial infection.

My idol has lost his streamer twice. It always comes back!
X2 this exactly

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. No spines or anything exposed at all . The idol still ate its usual two clams plus pellets and algae today. It is just the super thin part that is now missing. The streamer actually looks just like it did a month ago in my avatar picture. Here what it looked like before the mishap. Terrible picture warning .
IMAG0292_1 by

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of volitans, a mag fox and a scopas tang. It was either the tang or it could have gotten snagged on a rock . The idol constantly swims thru every hole it can find. The idol is top dog in the tank so I have my doubts that it is aggression issue but you never know.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies. The regrowth is under way. Looks like at least an inch has grown since it happened.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back