Moorish idol

sheatime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a moorish idol into my tank earlier... Noticed him going after my turbo snails... He eats like a pig, was going to town on flakes and seaweed at the LFS, just wondering if snails are common for their diet?

do_0b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"It is compatible with most fish and larger invertebrates, but should not be kept with any polyps or corals, which it will eat. Small invertebrates may be threatened as well." - liveaquaria.com

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one as well. Got him two weeks ago. Beautiful fish. Tears seaweed up but nothing else yet. Pecks at the live rock a bunch though. Mine hasn't gone for any corals......yet.

do_0b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't they eat sponges as part of their diet? I heard even though they eat flakes and frozen they still need to eat sponges which makes them hard to keep in a tank. :confused:

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept mine for 4 months or so... they go after everything they think they can eat.
Long term success with this fish is hard.
My longest running one was 1.5yrs then just died. They seem to do better in large tanks 400+.
I have read on forums about long term success but have yet to see it. This fish is not the best choice for most hobbyist. I did not want the one I have now but was taking it off a friend who made a poor choice at the Lfs. My only suggestion is to feed it acans to keep the long term destruction they cause in a standard reef tank at a minimal.

Was on my phone more info.

In my opinion and observation of keeping this fish.. They go after everything including my hand. After keeping them for a while you will get a feel of what it goes after and pull that from the tank or hope for the best. They can destroy a large coral in a few hours unchecked. I ended up pulling 30% of my coral out of my main display for this reason.

And for the question yes mine eats snails.

Last edited:

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to check on some of my opinions I stated above and I did talk to a few people that have kept them for 2+ years. I think long term success with this fish is possible. I wish more people that kept them for 2+ years would post on boards so I could learn what I am doing wrong.

As for info on what I have observed them pick at or eat or kill is the following.
The one I have now started as 2. The pair did well (eating) for a month and then the smaller of the 2 would chase/bite and stress out the larger one to the point that it ended up passing. There was another issue with it swimming erratically. These 2 fish were a rescue of sorts so I did the best I could with my limited knowledge.

I have also observed them eat/pick at snails. I think mine has a kill count of 3 in 4 months. He has also killed a Emerald crab.. Picked off all of its legs.....

As for shrimp and other fish it does attack a Kole tang and sexy shrimp.. It does not seem to want to eat the shrimp just wants them to move where he thinks they should be I guess.

As for coral I am sure at this point he has picked at every coral and anemone in my tank. Killing/eating doughnut corals (including the one in my profile pic), zoanthids, acan's, duncan's, pipe organ. Out of the ones I have kept they all seem to do the same thing within 3-6 month. I have also found they seem to stick to brown or green coral. I kept a colony of rainbow acan's in my tank for 2 months and the one I have now never touched it. I have also noticed he stays away from the bright colour zoanthids. Seems to nip at all the brown ones.

Other then that I have also found they don't QT that well. This could be me but I just hypo them no copper as everyone I have used copper on seems not to last.

I hope this helps and to be honnest this is all just anecdotal information.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a lot of research over the last 6 months or so. After reading other members suggestions and some trial and error on my part, here are what I feel are keys to "success" (that needs to be determined long term). High oxygenation and surface agitation. Feed Nori 4-8 sheets a day and do not use carbon (i.e....chemipure elite long term).

OP
OP
sheatime

sheatime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses everyone! glad to see that it isn't just an odd occurrence. Since the snails have found their way onto the glass and overflow box, he has left them alone :D

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has been kept long term and the best success stories are the people who got them toe eat NLS pellets. Look up Paul Tabolt who has had several for years and fed strictly on pellets good luck

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for at least 3 years. Got it as a large from a LFS and it was eating NLS pellets. Gave him room and tank mates that he can be the dominate alpha male. Fed him many times a day within the first year or so. Now he is eating medium formula two pallets and any frozen food.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. He thinks I'm gonna feed him. Lol

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. Over the past 3 to 4 years, he would get it and then lose it.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is mine.. had for 4+ months now... What happened to your Idols Dorsal fin/Streamer?

That's my favorite fish. See them every time snorkeling in Hawaii. Would love to get one someday but everything I hear about keeping them is negative. Glad there are some out there like you that can!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back