Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok REC! I jumped on in with both feets!

Picked up the following tonight...

- 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - Small

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447032543.459567.jpg

- 6 Cerith Snails

- 2 Margarita Snails

- 1 Strawberry Dottieback (watched him eat at the store)

Corals...

- 1 green trumpet

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447032825.982903.jpg

- 1 purple tip frog spawn

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447032851.717624.jpg

- 1 orange galaxea

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447032888.235346.jpg

Corals were dipped in Bayer for 10 minutes each and removed from their plugs and JB Welded down to the rock.

Overall not a bad haul tonight. 30% off all inverts, coral, and fish.

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, good start! You will need to expand that CUC over time. Right now everything is clean and pristine. I started fighting green hair algae, and it seems to pop up overnight. I think I have it under control. All part of the process, just hate the stuff. Stay on top of those phosphates. Way to go on the tank additions, looking good!

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my skimmer going nuts last night into this morning. Even at its highest setting the simmer cup was overflowing like mad. Some actually leaked out and down the back of the tank onto my stand. :( now my water is pretty cloudy. <mad face>.

Good news is my purple tip frog spawn is starting to open up. I turned my LEDs down to their lowest setting and will slowly ramp them back up each day to acclimate. The orange Galaxea is still retracted.

I was able to add some Myasis which I was happy to see my strawberry Dottyback promptly came out of the rock cave to eat like he was starving!

I'll post my water test results tonight after dinner.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Results:

Salinity: 1.024

Red Sea Test Kit:

Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2.0

Calcium: 420
Mag: 1280

Hanna Checker:

Alkalinity: 7.392dkh
Phosphate: 0.00

nmohr6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk may be a little low, but if your corals aren't open yet it's probably because the dip irritated them. They should be fine within the week. Alk could be 8 or 9dkh

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update... Added 4 more margarita snails and my diatoms are slowly fading away. The margaritas killed it on the rocks and the rear wall. Next up... Starting to get some lime green spots on the rocks. Suspecting green film algae will be hitting next. Guess I'll pick up a few Nerite or Turbos this weekend to help control that too.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I may have to take my purple Dottyback back to the lfs... The cleaner isn't even allowed inside the rock work and perches most of the day up on top of the rock work. I've seen the Dottyback try and steal food from him during feeding too.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I may have to take my purple Dottyback back to the lfs... The cleaner isn't even allowed inside the rock work and perches most of the day up on top of the rock work. I've seen the Dottyback try and steal food from him during feeding too.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Dottyback went back to the LFS today. Watched him bully around the skunk cleaner and even steal food from him. I figure he wouldn't let anyone else survive.

So with that I picked up two small ocellarius clowns. The regular ones. Nothing special but I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle their new environment.

I also picked up 3 new coral frags tonight...

- ultra moon coral (looks like a favia)
- ultra neon green polyps
- torch coral

Added 4 turbo snails.

I'll get some pictures in about a week after everything opens up more. My purple top frogspawn is thriving! Each of the branches are starting to grow new branches... It's really opening up.

But with the new corals I did another Bayer dip with a double rinse before adding to the display. Oh and my skunk cleaner also molted 2 nights ago. I will be dosing two part in the next week to help bring up my alk and calcium as alk is running a little low still at 7.32dkh.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. This is my first salt tank. I feel like I'm learning something new daily!

Awesome! Start a build thread! Would love to check out what you come up with!
It was my saltwater native tank. The water in it was from the ocean, the fish in it I caught, (couple blenny's filefish puffers and pipes) just the other day decided to set them all free except for one. Emptied all the water out and took out the rock, added some rock I had sitting in a bucket and water with powerhead for months and used reef crystals to mix up the new water. The live rock isn't exactly nice live rock, it's just a bunch of base rock but it will be alright.

1448258180043.jpg

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my skimmer going nuts last night into this morning. Even at its highest setting the simmer cup was overflowing like mad. Some actually leaked out and down the back of the tank onto my stand. :( now my water is pretty cloudy. <mad face>.

Good news is my purple tip frog spawn is starting to open up. I turned my LEDs down to their lowest setting and will slowly ramp them back up each day to acclimate. The orange Galaxea is still retracted.

I was able to add some Myasis which I was happy to see my strawberry Dottyback promptly came out of the rock cave to eat like he was starving!

I'll post my water test results tonight after dinner.

Very nice tank :)

Skimmer is going nuts because of the epoxy you're using. Running carbon and few water changes should fix that :)

I normally have my skimmer turned off for a few days when I use epoxy for new coral, so it doesn't over flow.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it went nuts for a few hours after I put the coral in last night but has settled in nicely. I forgot about it when it happened the first time. I should have known better. Lol

Where are you from Cameronh? I had a few friends who did that with natural sea water and caught their own fish when I lived in Hawaii for a bit. One guy even had caught his own moray but I never asked how he managed that one.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it went nuts for a few hours after I put the coral in last night but has settled in nicely. I forgot about it when it happened the first time. I should have known better. Lol

Where are you from Cameronh? I had a few friends who did that with natural sea water and caught their own fish when I lived in Hawaii for a bit. One guy even had caught his own moray but I never asked how he managed that one.
I'm in savannah ga where the water visibility is negative 5 inches:D......really. But I just lay down on my down and lean my head over the edge with a flashlight and scooped the up. The pipe fish I could grab with my hand haha. They don't move at all.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back