Moray eel emergency!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. My neighbor is babysitting a moray eel for the summer and came to me for help. He came home this morning after visiting his grandparents for a day and found his moray eel laboring and will not eat. He said he observed some looks like parasites on him the other day saltwater ich I believe. Can he be treated with copper to save him?

125g mixed reef Peninsula

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done, it is a fish so I should be able to be done, however, I would add the copper slowly...I would add a parasite med like prazipro too. Keep us posted

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I would use copper with a moray. Google it.
"Copper is generally not a very good treatment for eels. Moray eels are very resistant to external parasites due to their toxic slime coat and very thick skin."

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went over his house, ran some water tests and looked at the eel. After talking with him I don't think it was what he thought he saw. He has 3 conch and 2 pipefish in with the eel. I think what he saw was the slim the conch leaves behind and it got on the eel. I saw some when I was looking at the tank. His tank isn't very clean and looks like he has dinos. His parimeters are off IMO (but I'm used to parims for coral) and salinity at 1.028. I feel this is too high and possibly causing his sluggishness and laboring.

This is what I think he should do & please let me know if I'm incorrect or need to add something:

I think he should clean everything... Filters, rocks and dip with peroxide and straighten out his inbalanced water. Then see how the eel reacts.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also. He was originally using water from the Gulf. Then did some small WC with IO. His fresh water was from the tap and not RO/DI. I am currently making him some RO for his water change tomorrow to help.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back