Moray eel for 75 gallon

D2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

i have had read mixed reviews some say they are fine in 75 gallons some say not so how would these eels do in a 75 gallon tank (Japanese or Hawaiian dragon / gymnothorax miliaris / fimbriatus / jewled (mexican dragon) i should be moving house like early 2021 and will be getting the tank then possibility to upgrade depending on space ect so lets just keep it at 75 for now whats your thoughts.

Also The tank will be based on the eel so i would try my best to make the best possible cave system i could

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st off if you did put one of these eels in a 75g, they would have to be alone. There is no fish that could live in a 75g that would be safe with one of these eels. The dragon eel does get considerably larger than the other 2, I would say a 75g would be too small for this eel. While I like keeping these eels in a 6 foot tank, seeing their habits, they will probably be comfortable in a 75g, especially a tank designed around their needs. I've seen fimbriated kill other eels in larger tanks, so more than one is likely not a good idea.

OP
OP
D

D2123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply oh yea i know only 1 would be able to fit into the tank that was the plan i was just giving a few options of the eels i found interesting so nothing else would be able to go in the tank because my plan was cycle the tank add some damsels and add some Xenia and some other hardy soft coral that would help with nitrates let the tank establish for like 6 months and then add the eel was going to try and get the eel medium not small as if he took a hunger strike a small eel would probs not survive it as would not have the fat reserve to cope with

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually a few colorful damsels with the eel would not only be fine, but attractive. Damsels are very eleusive and some may actually become permanent residents.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t recommend a tank smaller than a 125g
In a 75g, they will need hiding and room for movement and with rocks and other items, you will have Maybe 60 useable gallons and these guts can grow to 3-4ft Easily

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do chromis fair with predators? They related to damsels but not as aggresive.

Chromis are easy pickins, they are not as elusive as damsels. The blue and the blue with the yellow tails being the most elusive. Many times at 1st the eels will try and chase them down, but if fed on a regular schedule, wont even try anymore, too much work. Then they'll just take one down for fun or by accident from time to time. At $5 a pop, its a healthy meal that can be inexpensively replaced from time to time.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this post reminded me of a suggestion someone made to add green chromis for that reason! Adds nice movement, and if they get eaten or not, its healthier than using other fish that are intended to be feeders. I'll look into damsels along with the different type of chromis.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 75 would be a losing battle. They are so unbelievably messy. Even though they're not tesselata status they're still nothing to sneeze at full grown. A 2ft+ eel is cramped in 4ft imo.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back