Moray eel help

Newsaltymom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I have 4 eels, I am attaching a video where you can see one (the newest) turning over in the tube. None of my other three eels do this or have started doing this. My question is —is this normal? The tank has been going 11 months now, I added the yellow 1 week ago.I did a water change three days ago, my salinity did drop to 1.020 and I’m working on salt water now to start to raise that. But I’m concerned with this action of the yellow head. Please advise

Attachments

• IMG_6580.mov
    92 MB

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably better off posting in the predator or tank emergency sections here. Also, many people can't for whatever reason, view uploaded videos. Upload to YouTube and post a link.

You'll also be asked questions like
What are your perameters?
Tank Temperature?
Feeding schedule?
Did you quarantine, if so, how?
How long have the other eels been in there?
When did the new eel start doing that?

Unfortunately I don't know enough about eels to say whether or not it's normal behaviour. However, @lion king is pretty good with predators.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it isn't normal behavior and his breathing is also labored. A few things come to mind, but mind these are obviously just theoretical guesses.

Since you just got him in there could have a been an injuring causes a neurological disturbance. He could have swallowed a bunch of air which causes issue, I can't remember the exact medical explanation.

He could have also ingested a rock or something causing a blockage. Not knowing how long he was before you got him, it could also be a nutritional defiencency, likely vitamin B1, which is mainly caused due to feeding foods high in thiaminese.

Course of action is another story, the only one I know how to deal with would be the nutritional defiencency, by feeding proper foods. Some of the other like a blockage or air, may just have to work itself out. Raising your mg to about 1400ppm may help with digesting and passing any blockage. An injury I guess you would just have to hope for the best.

OP
OP
Newsaltymom

Newsaltymom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it isn't normal behavior and his breathing is also labored. A few things come to mind, but mind these are obviously just theoretical guesses.

Since you just got him in there could have a been an injuring causes a neurological disturbance. He could have swallowed a bunch of air which causes issue, I can't remember the exact medical explanation.

He could have also ingested a rock or something causing a blockage. Not knowing how long he was before you got him, it could also be a nutritional defiencency, likely vitamin B1, which is mainly caused due to feeding foods high in thiaminese.

Course of action is another story, the only one I know how to deal with would be the nutritional defiencency, by feeding proper foods. Some of the other like a blockage or air, may just have to work itself out. Raising your mg to about 1400ppm may help with digesting and passing any blockage. An injury I guess you would just have to hope for the best.

So he came out of the tube and his stomach is extended I believe he may be comstipated. I see humble fish write up about dosing epson salt. Has anyone went thru this with their eels? And I’m sorry but I don’t know about raising my “mg to 1400ppm” I’m researching that now unless you’d like to assist in advice lol thank you so much for responding, I have raised salinity two points for today I will do two more tomorrow putting me at the proper 1.025. I believe it’s a digestive issue now. I’ve compared him to other eels and they’re fine one being a blue ribbon, corals and inverts all okay.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing epsom salt is like a home remedy. Mg is the active ingredient in epsom salt which people have unknowingly recommended. Mg is a major element necessary for maintaining a reef aquarium. Many times people keeping a fowlr will not maintain adequate levels of mg. Most recommended levels of around mid 1200ppm. It is safe to raise the level much higher but I have found 1400ppm to be good. I have done this with many of my predators when a digestion issue was suspected. I do not dose anything into my tanks that I can not test. You never know what the proper dosage of epsom salt is.

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing epsom salt is like a home remedy. Mg is the active ingredient in epsom salt which people have unknowingly recommended. Mg is a major element necessary for maintaining a reef aquarium. Many times people keeping a fowlr will not maintain adequate levels of mg. Most recommended levels of around mid 1200ppm. It is safe to raise the level much higher but I have found 1400ppm to be good. I have done this with many of my prefators when a digestion issue was suspected. I do not dose anything into my tanks that I can not test. You never know what the proper dosage of epsom salt is .
Thank you @lion king

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Salinity is obviously a huge factor. How did you acclimate the eel which should have been at least two hours ?
No need to raise Mag or even focus on Mag/alk/CA unless you have corals in the tank. Sounds like it may have liver complications .

Basic care:
Good water quality
water should also be kept at a pH of 7.8 to 8.4

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish do use elements from the water column, many times predatory fish like eels, lions, anglers, scorps; if not getting bones and shells from their diet, need the ca from the water column. And mg does help with digestion.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that while mg is the active ingredient in epsom salt, it does contain other ingredients which may be questionable. The bag I have at home contains sulfur among other things, and it also used as a fertilizer.

OP
OP
Newsaltymom

Newsaltymom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: i was able to raise salinity to proper levels now, I also took the tubes out for a while, ticked the eels off but they’re settled in under rocks now. One thing I did notice is the spinning was always in the tube. So I pulled them out, also with the intent to make them move around and help digestion (as if they’re human ‍♀️ Lol) I had actually added 6 small soft corals and while I know that’s not a lot, the tanks full of inverts so I did also start dosing calc. Everyone is back to norm, right side up and eating at this time. I did not end up dosing the Epsom honestly because I’m chicken ‍♀️ I wanted to try my non dosing options first. Not sure if it was salinity, water (no more changes or less than normal) or lack of trace elements....but one of those factors played a part and has been rectified. I appreciate all the help!! All my guys are doing well now!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back