Moray Eel Tank progress Thread

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a side question for you. How much/often do you find the eels using the Pvc vs rock caves?

I'll be putting together a big tank soon, and am wondering if it's worth the effort to put in something like that. My white eyed has a history of ignoring pipe caves, though that may be because I made it too short.

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate
they are in the pipes all the time we are actually just looking at them now and they are all in there, the big fella swims around, in and out,
I think the key is to make them kinda part of the tank (and yes long enough) and secure enough to want them to go in, I would 100% use the pipes in and around your rocks :)

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to give it a shot. Do you plan on cleaning it out, or would the in and outs of the eels handle most detritus you figure?

Also, out of curiosity, what size did you get the white eyes? How quickly did they grow? Asking because I can't find a whole lot of information about them online. In the last year, I'd guess mine nearly doubled in thickness, and added at least 3" or more.

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to give it a shot. Do you plan on cleaning it out, or would the in and outs of the eels handle most detritus you figure?

Also, out of curiosity, what size did you get the white eyes? How quickly did they grow? Asking because I can't find a whole lot of information about them online. In the last year, I'd guess mine nearly doubled in thickness, and added at least 3" or more.
they pipes tend to stay clean due to them swimming through in the old tank when we took the pipework out it was clean as a whistle so all good, in saying that if needed I have a pipe extension I can slip onto the pump return to act as a water blower if required
we got the white eyes around 8 inches long, and I would say slow to medium growth, they are being fed on a mixture of dry pellets, squid, mullet prawns, I fed the tank once every week there abouts

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that would be the case. This fellow has run through his cave so often he's pushed the sand out almost to bare glass. Will definitely have to come up with some sort of cave system to snake between the rocks, or maybe even under the sand bed.

So a good couple years to full grown then. I had almost forgotten a fun little coincidence, the tank he was in at the lfs was also home to a monsterous honeycomb eel. I guess white eyes get along with other eels just fabulously.

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that would be the case. This fellow has run through his cave so often he's pushed the sand out almost to bare glass. Will definitely have to come up with some sort of cave system to snake between the rocks, or maybe even under the sand bed.

So a good couple years to full grown then. I had almost forgotten a fun little coincidence, the tank he was in at the lfs was also home to a monsterous honeycomb eel. I guess white eyes get along with other eels just fabulously.
we have gone bare bottom on this tank and hopefully the carpeting corals will grow n go nuts, in the wild the white eyes are usually found hanging out with larger pred eels, these guys get on so well its not funny, I think I said before the honeycomb has nailed anything thats been in the tank with them have you got a picture of your little fella

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the things I had read about them, didn't know if it carried over to aquarium environments. It's a shame I have only seen the one in the last year.

The two bucket pictures, with the cup is the day I got him, February 1st 2020, the second is when I moved him to my current display in late July.

The one with the white pvc and is super pale is when I first saw him at the lfs. I honestly thought he might've been a mislabeled/priced Golden Dwarf (missed the slitted pupils) , as Googled showed no results searching a "White Moray Eel" is what he was labeled as.

Attachments

• DSC_1518.JPG
    DSC_1518.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_2310.JPG
    DSC_2310.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_2311.JPG
    DSC_2311.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_1352.JPG
    DSC_1352.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_2434.JPG
    DSC_2434.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the things I had read about them, didn't know if it carried over to aquarium environments. It's a shame I have only seen the one in the last year.

The two bucket pictures, with the cup is the day I got him, February 1st 2020, the second is when I moved him to my current display in late July.

The one with the white pvc and is super pale is when I first saw him at the lfs. I honestly thought he might've been a mislabeled/priced Golden Dwarf (missed the slitted pupils) , as Googled showed no results searching a "White Moray Eel" is what he was labeled as.
looks awesome mate, I love them lol

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Maybe it's because it was the first saltwater fish I ever bought, but the white eyed is my favourite. So much personality.
If you don't mind two more questions. You're the first I've seen to have them as adults. Couple on here with juvies.

How big are they now? I've read they grow to 24", and have been told the same. But in the videos, they look quite a bit bigger than that, though that may be just me.

Have you ever kept them with other fish, or just the honeycomb? How'd it go? Mine has so far been a model citizen, even with edible sized fish, but am wary should he one day decide otherwise.

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Maybe it's because it was the first saltwater fish I ever bought, but the white eyed is my favourite. So much personality.
If you don't mind two more questions. You're the first I've seen to have them as adults. Couple on here with juvies.

How big are they now? I've read they grow to 24", and have been told the same. But in the videos, they look quite a bit bigger than that, though that may be just me.

Have you ever kept them with other fish, or just the honeycomb? How'd it go? Mine has so far been a model citizen, even with edible sized fish, but am wary should he one day decide otherwise.
easy as, they are alittle over 2ft at this stage I dont feel they are going to get much bigger :)
They eat like little pigs haha
they were fine with any other fish we had, never attacked another fish, the Honeycomb on the other hand did not welcome sharing anything so ate every tank mate we had lol
The white eyed, left all our cod\bream, sharks whatever no hassle at all

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this beautiful Devils Hand coral to the Eel tank yesterday and woke up to it looking amazing this morning
we have some GSP, purple star polyps, pulsing Xenia and different color morphs, we want (Hopefully) to carpet the entire tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back