More LEDs, T5 Hybrid or T5 Only

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advice. I currently have a wterbox 180 gallon tank. The tank measures 1536 x 643 x 550mm (L,W,H). I am currently in the final stages of a rebuild (getting it wet next week) and wanted to get some advice on changes to my lighting.

Previously I was running 3 Red Sea Reef LED 90s (specs here) for a mixed reef tank. This was largely fine but I had a lot of shadowing and my coverage was fairly spotty (some dark areas). This was partially driven by using arms from a former tank so the lights were mounted too far to the back. My new build is likely to be heavily SPS dominant, as such I am re evaluating my lighting options.

As I see it, I have three options.
1) Add another reef LED, switch to a pendant instead of arms and hang them properly over the tank.
2) Switch to a hybrid fixture (i'd been eyeng up the Giesemann Stellar 1200mm.
3) Just move over to a T5 only fixture

A few comments:
- I would really love not to have 5 plugs dedicated to lighting like I'd get from the hybrid approach
- The simplicity of T5 seems appealing to me
- I cannot tell from reading around if people are now more comfertable with LEDs for SPS dominant tanks
- I don't feel comfertable building my own fixture and bolting on some LED strips for extra coverage

I'd really welcome any thoughts or advice here to be honest. People seem to entrenched in their opinions and this space is moving so fast I've really struggled to trust the research I have been doing.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advice. I currently have a wterbox 180 gallon tank. The tank measures 1536 x 643 x 550mm (L,W,H). I am currently in the final stages of a rebuild (getting it wet next week) and wanted to get some advice on changes to my lighting.

Previously I was running 3 Red Sea Reef LED 90s (specs here) for a mixed reef tank. This was largely fine but I had a lot of shadowing and my coverage was fairly spotty (some dark areas). This was partially driven by using arms from a former tank so the lights were mounted too far to the back. My new build is likely to be heavily SPS dominant, as such I am re evaluating my lighting options.

As I see it, I have three options.
1) Add another reef LED, switch to a pendant instead of arms and hang them properly over the tank.
2) Switch to a hybrid fixture (i'd been eyeng up the Giesemann Stellar 1200mm.
3) Just move over to a T5 only fixture

A few comments:
- I would really love not to have 5 plugs dedicated to lighting like I'd get from the hybrid approach
- The simplicity of T5 seems appealing to me
- I cannot tell from reading around if people are now more comfertable with LEDs for SPS dominant tanks
- I don't feel comfertable building my own fixture and bolting on some LED strips for extra coverage

I'd really welcome any thoughts or advice here to be honest. People seem to entrenched in their opinions and this space is moving so fast I've really struggled to trust the research I have been doing.
Currently I’m an LED guy but I only have a 20G and I have two AI primes so. But I’ve planned out a 4ft and 8ft tank for the future and if they are still relevant and not gone by then I will be going t5’s 100% for the simplicity of it.

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The panel type LEDs appear to have less shadowing than the puck style ones IMO. Let’s see what the lighting gurus say.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm not purposely being "alarmist" but you may want to keep this in mind.
Full impact isn't exactly clear ATM.
Keep in mind even if not banned outright market conditions may change availability of certain lights/ sizes.
Sept. seems a particularly critical point
Many insist aquarium centric tubes will be exempt.
Being in the US I wouldn't be particularly concerned for a few years for good or bad reasons
I " believe" bulbs such as 24" and 48" being so common not an issue. Things like 60" ????

JUST consider this an fyi You can search and find all sorts of related chatter here.

Attachments

• 20220602-ph-ledconv-rohs-overview-a4-q2-2022-global (1).pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 42

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back